Special characters in Trados from a Mac keyboard?
Thread poster: Marie-Cécile Béal
Marie-Cécile Béal
Marie-Cécile Béal  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:44
English to French
+ ...
Nov 4, 2010

Hello,

Here comes the expected next question from me.

I am very happy with my MacBook Pro, and getting used to the US keyboard to type French special characters. I find this surprisingly easy.

I have installed Trados on a virtual Windows OS within the Mac, the application runs smoothly. I have found in this forum some tips to customize the Trados shortcuts.

Now, how to type the special characters in Trados with my Mac keyboard? The external ke
... See more
Hello,

Here comes the expected next question from me.

I am very happy with my MacBook Pro, and getting used to the US keyboard to type French special characters. I find this surprisingly easy.

I have installed Trados on a virtual Windows OS within the Mac, the application runs smoothly. I have found in this forum some tips to customize the Trados shortcuts.

Now, how to type the special characters in Trados with my Mac keyboard? The external keyboard solution doesn't suit me, I like to be mobile.

Cheers.
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 01:44
German to Swedish
+ ...
What doesn't work? Nov 6, 2010

Huh? I can type diacritics just fine in Trados on my Swedish MacBook Pro keyboard.

I'm pretty sure Parallels (you're using that, right?) simply forwards the Unicode of the typed characters to Windows. What you type is what you get.

As for shortcuts, don't forget to look at the Parallels keyboard settings.

Stefano Papaleo
Stefano Papaleo  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Add French Layout Nov 6, 2010

Hi,

instead of learning weird key combination, just add in Windows the French keyboard layout and switch to that when you need that. It takes a little to get used to and it's not WYSIWYG but if you're familiar with the French layout it won't be so hard to press one key knowing that it will output the special character you need. You can easily switch from one layout to the other by pressing ALT+SHIFT.

I have a UK keyboard and of course need Italian characters... having b
... See more
Hi,

instead of learning weird key combination, just add in Windows the French keyboard layout and switch to that when you need that. It takes a little to get used to and it's not WYSIWYG but if you're familiar with the French layout it won't be so hard to press one key knowing that it will output the special character you need. You can easily switch from one layout to the other by pressing ALT+SHIFT.

I have a UK keyboard and of course need Italian characters... having both layouts installed and being very familiar with where the keys are, I have no problem in typing on a British kb as if it were an Italian one. Give it a try.

Salut,

Stefano
Collapse

Marie-Cécile Béal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I use VMware Fusion Nov 6, 2010

And my Mac Book is a US version but it works very well to write in French in the Mac environment. There is something not right then? I can write all the accents on the Mac, but the keys don't work in Windows or they have other functions.

I will try with the French keyboard setting in the Windows environment but I expected it would be easier. And perhaps I should give a try with Parallel instead of Fusion?

Fortunately Wordfast Pro works perfectly on Mac (trouble with Wo
... See more
And my Mac Book is a US version but it works very well to write in French in the Mac environment. There is something not right then? I can write all the accents on the Mac, but the keys don't work in Windows or they have other functions.

I will try with the French keyboard setting in the Windows environment but I expected it would be easier. And perhaps I should give a try with Parallel instead of Fusion?

Fortunately Wordfast Pro works perfectly on Mac (trouble with Wordfast Classic though with my Word 2011). Trados is such a complication.

Thanks!
Collapse

Marie-Cécile Béal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found a solution Nov 6, 2010

The US international keyboard works fine in my case:

http://french.about.com/od/writing/ss/typeaccents.htm

Thanks to all!

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Kludge Nov 6, 2010

That type-this-then-type-that solution doesn't sound all that great.

If the standard French keyboard is a 105-key layout that can't be covered by the 104-key US keyboard (one physical key is missing), then I would buy a French keyboard for the computer. This being Apple, I'm sure it will be preposterously expensive but it should be available. Have a repair shop install it if you don't trust your own skills.

Of course if you type in French only occasionally, then it's pr
... See more

If the standard French keyboard is a 105-key layout that can't be covered by the 104-key US keyboard (one physical key is missing), then I would buy a French keyboard for the computer. This being Apple, I'm sure it will be preposterously expensive but it should be available. Have a repair shop install it if you don't trust your own skills.

Of course if you type in French only occasionally, then it's probably not worth it.

An example (may not fit your computer):
http://www.welovemacs.com/f9227183.html
Collapse

Marie-Cécile Béal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
US international is fine Nov 6, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:

Of course if you type in French only occasionally, then it's probably not worth it.

An example (may not fit your computer):
http://www.welovemacs.com/f9227183.html

I have an external French keyboard that would fit but I prefer to use my MacBook as a laptop and thus remain mobile. The US international setting is very easy to use so I am a happy translator now

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Installing vs plugging in Nov 7, 2010

The keyboard I was talking about is not an external USB keyboard. It's a replacement keyboard for the laptop. Otherwise talking about installation by a shop and model version compatibility would make no sense at all.

pertor
pertor  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Special key for Windows on MacBook Feb 17, 2011

How do access Home and End-key functions? Which keys do you press?

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:44
English
+ ...
dead keys not kludgy Feb 17, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:

As for the “type-this-then-type-that solution” (dead keys), I find this still infinitely better than the “there’s no way to type anything” scenario on Windows.

Chinese is a completely different thing. Apple’s support for inputting Chinese is—what should I say—weird.

[Edited at 2011-02-17 20:14 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Special characters in Trados from a Mac keyboard?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »