Thread poster: Fernando Santos
Fernando Santos
Fernando Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:48
English to Portuguese
Aug 16, 2012

Dear colleagues,

Does anybody knows if there is an English>Portuguese Mac glossary in the Web?

Best Regards,
Fernando Santos

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 23:48
English to Indonesian
+ ...
The Apple Dev site Aug 17, 2012

Yes, Fernando, the Apple developer site provides a glossary: chttps://developer.apple.com/internationalization/
You will have to sign up as a developer though. I hope you have a Mac, the glossary comes in a .dmg of about 4 MB, and around 200 files I suppose you'd want to merge. Although there are alternative ways to do the merging, you may also want to download AppleGlot.
... See more
Yes, Fernando, the Apple developer site provides a glossary: chttps://developer.apple.com/internationalization/
You will have to sign up as a developer though. I hope you have a Mac, the glossary comes in a .dmg of about 4 MB, and around 200 files I suppose you'd want to merge. Although there are alternative ways to do the merging, you may also want to download AppleGlot.

I'm glad you asked, because this is the first official Apple glossary since 2008, and it's been made available only 10 days ago. Downloaded it a minute ago for DUT.

Cheers,

Hans
Collapse

Fernando Santos
Fernando Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Mac glossary Aug 17, 2012

Hi,

Thanks for the tip!

Regards,
Fernando

Cecilia Di Vita
Cecilia Di Vita  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
troubles opening .lg files Sep 27, 2012

Hi All

sorry to resume this old post - but I downloaded the Apple glossaries and I am now stuck on how to open them. I downloaded AppleGlot but after I go though the installation process, I can't find the application in my system anywhere - and as a consequence I can only open the .lg files in a text editor, not ideal really!

Can somebody please enlighten me? I work on Mac OS X Version 10.7.4.

Thank you!
Cecilia

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Terminal Sep 27, 2012

ceciliadv wrote:
I can't find the application in my system anywhere

You should use a command in the terminal:

/usr/local/bin/appleglot

Cheers,

Hans

Cecilia Di Vita
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank you Sep 27, 2012

Thanks Hans, I had figured this out by reading the manual, but I am really not sure what I am supposed to do in order to be able to consult the glossaries when I need to do so... I am relatively new to Mac, so any suggestion is most appreciated.

Cecilia

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Merge the files? Sep 27, 2012

ceciliadv wrote:
Thanks Hans, I had figured this out by reading the manual, but I am really not sure what I am supposed to do in order to be able to consult the glossaries when I need to do so…

Well, the files are pretty useless on their own, they're far too small. So you should merge them, I think, using Appleglot or AppleTrans, and convert the resulting file into one useful format, TMX, TXT, or whatever you use in your CAT tool or other applications.
I am relatively new to Mac, so any suggestion is most appreciated.

Subscribe to MacLingua, I'd suggest: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MacLingua/join
and/or m4T: http://groups.google.com/group/mac-for-translators?hl=en

Cheers,

Hans

Cecilia Di Vita
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
will try the groups Oct 1, 2012

Thanks Hans, AppleTrans has been discontinued, and I have no idea how to merge glossary files using command lines in AppleGlot.

But I will ask on the groups you've indicated me, many thanks for that.

Cecilia

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
AppleTrans up for grabs Oct 1, 2012

ceciliadv wrote:
AppleTrans has been discontinued

I know. Somebody just uploaded AppleTrans to his DropBox. About 3.5 MB. It'll be there for a couple of days.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2184204/AppleTrans.zip

Cheers,

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English>Portuguese Mac glossary in the Web

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »