Sylwia Jamor (X)
Sylwia Jamor (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:32
Polish to English
+ ...
Mar 29, 2015

Hello everyone,

Does anyone of you have experience in running Trados 2009 on Macbook Air 11"?

I need a very light and very small notebook which I can carry around and connect to external monitors.

I'm thinking about the following setup:

MacBook Air 11" i5, 8RAM, 128SSD + VM Ware + Windows XP.

I would only use to work. Do you think it makes sense? Will it run smoothly?

I was also thinking about buying an ultrabook with
... See more
Hello everyone,

Does anyone of you have experience in running Trados 2009 on Macbook Air 11"?

I need a very light and very small notebook which I can carry around and connect to external monitors.

I'm thinking about the following setup:

MacBook Air 11" i5, 8RAM, 128SSD + VM Ware + Windows XP.

I would only use to work. Do you think it makes sense? Will it run smoothly?

I was also thinking about buying an ultrabook with Windows 7 and upgrading to SDL 2014
but for obvious reasons I'd prefer to buy a MacBook. At this point I'm really confused
and I could really use an advice. So any comment would be much appreciated.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:32
Member (2008)
Italian to English
More RAM Mar 29, 2015

8 GB is not enough. It is barely enough just to run the MacOS, and I think Apple are crazy to be selling this as a serious computer with only 8GB RAM as the maximum possible. Madness!

Then if you add VMWare and Trados (plus all the other things you'll be running e.g. a browser, email etc.) the computer will be very slow indeed, and you will be disappointed with the performance.

IMHO as a long-time Mac user I think you should go for a MacBook Pro with 16GB, probably NOT
... See more
8 GB is not enough. It is barely enough just to run the MacOS, and I think Apple are crazy to be selling this as a serious computer with only 8GB RAM as the maximum possible. Madness!

Then if you add VMWare and Trados (plus all the other things you'll be running e.g. a browser, email etc.) the computer will be very slow indeed, and you will be disappointed with the performance.

IMHO as a long-time Mac user I think you should go for a MacBook Pro with 16GB, probably NOT with the Retina display, as people here have been reporting problems with some Windows-based applications on Retina displays. Anyway the normal Mac display is perfectly good.

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/283463-studio_on_a_retina_screen.html#2412448

Plus you'll have more connectivity options with the MBP (external monitor + other things).

[Edited at 2015-03-29 22:00 GMT]
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 02:32
English to Indonesian
+ ...
8 GB is more than enough... Mar 29, 2015

...to be able to run WIN XP and Trados, especially if you install Windows under BootCamp. In that case, you use all your hardware resources for Windows, and you'll have to restart your MBA to go from the Dark Side to OS X. Re-booting on a MBA is fast though.

Apple isn't crazy, Tom. Apart from for very special applications, you rarely need more than 4 GB to run apps under OS X (OS X itself only uses 2 GB). Besides, if the software has used up all physical memory, it will switch to vi
... See more
...to be able to run WIN XP and Trados, especially if you install Windows under BootCamp. In that case, you use all your hardware resources for Windows, and you'll have to restart your MBA to go from the Dark Side to OS X. Re-booting on a MBA is fast though.

Apple isn't crazy, Tom. Apart from for very special applications, you rarely need more than 4 GB to run apps under OS X (OS X itself only uses 2 GB). Besides, if the software has used up all physical memory, it will switch to virtual memory (a swap file on the SSD), and an SSD is fast enough so Sylwia won't notice. Windows uses a similar system.

The problems with Trados and retina displays are only present in the very new retina iMac 27" - just about the opposite of what Sylwia wants to buy - probably caused by Windows or the virtual machine software not being able handle the very high resolution of that beast yet. There are no retina problems for Trados with MacBooks of any kind.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2015-03-30 01:49 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:32
Member (2008)
Italian to English
That's odd Mar 30, 2015

Meta Arkadia wrote:

Apple isn't crazy, Tom.

That's an odd thing to say. I've been a Mac user since 1998.

I already have a MBP with 16 GB of RAM, which I upgraded myself because 8GB was too slow for Yosemite. I also have a MacMini which I also upgraded myself to 16 GB RAM, for the same reason.

I do think Apple is crazy to release a computer that can only take 8GB of RAM.

[Edited at 2015-03-30 08:18 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 02:32
English to Indonesian
+ ...
VirtualBox Mar 30, 2015

Tom in London wrote:
That's an odd thing to say. I've been a Mac user since 1998.

If, according to you, Apple is crazy, and you've been a Mac user since 1998, what does that say about you?

Anyway, adding 8 GB memory to the existing 8 GB to solve Yosemite's presumed slowness did not help, I assure you. The OS 10 10.1 update did.

More on OS X and RAM: http://www.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems/279905-problems_associated_with_installing_a_virtual_pc_on_a_mac-page2.html#2382407
On MS Word and Actions (for Tom in London): http://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/282653-cat_software_for_start_up_advice_needed-page4.html#2411815

Sylwia is going to install Windows XP on the MBA. That's a 2001 operating system. 8 GB of your MBA of which say 4 GB assigned to the virtual machine for WIN XP should do the trick nicely. I'd prefer BootCamp, though. You don't have to buy, install, update, upgrade a virtual machine either. By the way, VirtualBox is free, VMWare and Parallels aren't. If you insist on going the virtual machine route, you can try that first, Sylwia.

Cheers,

Hans (a Mac since 1987)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL TRADOS STUDIO 2009 on MacBook Air 11"

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »