Important For Translation... Arabic
Thread poster: Hayyan
| | Hayyan
Local time: 15:04
English to Arabic
Collocation : Words that go together , agreement of words that sounds natural , acceptable in English . It refers to the type of features that characterize certain combination of words in sentences . It is the way words are used together regularly .
Collocation has three forms :
1. V+ N collocation :
- Take an exam . Not * make an exam .
- Attend the lecture . يحضر المحاضرة
- Attend the church / mosque . ذهب إلى الكنيسة / الجامع
- Attend a meeting .
- Ask a permission / question / favor . يطلب الإذن
- Achieve success / purpose / distinction . يحقق هدفه / نجاحاً
- Enroll / register a university . يدخل الجامعة
- Abandon ship / hope . يتخلى عن سفينة / أمل
- Support an idea / theory / political party / team / family .
يدعم / يؤيد / يناصر / يعتنق
- Perform an operation . يجري عملية
- Held a discussion . يجري مناقشة
Do or Make ?
Do or make are each used in many expressions about which there is
no rule , but very often , one makes something that was not before i.e.
I will create it .
- To make a cake .
- To make a noise .
- To make fire .
But one does an action .
- To do the shopping .
- To do the exercise .
- To do the homework . 1
What is the difference between ' of ' and ' from ' ?
- The table is made of wood .
- The bread is made from corn .
' from ' is used when the result no longer looks like the original
material . And 'of ' is used when something is simpler has been done.
1- To deliver a lecture . يلقي محاضرة
To give a lecture .
2- To strike a terror in his heart . يلقي الرعب في قلبه
3- Make a speech . يلقي خطاب
Deliver a speech .
4- Give up / surrender . يلقي السلاح
To lay down the one's arm .
5- To lay / place responsibility . يلقي المسؤولية
On someone's shoulder .
6- To say hello / to greet someone . يلقي التحية
2. N + v collocation :
- Incident takes place / happens / occurs .
- Anger mounts / flares up . انفجر غاضباً
- Aggression mounts . تصاعد العدوان
- Anger bates . خمد غضبه
- Aggression bates . خمد العدوان
- The disease / pain / storm mounts .
- The disease / pain / storm bates .
- The beauty fades . ذبل الجمال
- The need arises . دعت الحاجة
- The war is waged / broken out / declared .اندلعت الحرب
3. Adj. + N collocation :
- Strong coffee Not * powerful coffee .
The difference between literal translation and honest translation .
Avoid literal translation which is word by word translation . The distinction between honest translation and literal translation is so
tiny but it is very important . Honesty of translation implies that the translator does his / her best to provide the reader with the soul,
thoughts , feelings and the implied message of the original text of the author . On the other hand , literal translation fails to do and achieve these goals .
The requirements of good translator :
- Mastery of two languages .
- Complete knowledge of the grammar of both languages .
- Understanding the implied meaning of the text .
- The translator should be aware of the author's intention .
- Transfer the message of the text into the target language and produce the same effects .
1- إليك يا صغيرتي أغنية صغيرة .
2- عن طائر صغير .
3- في عشه واحده الزغيب .
4- وإلفه الحبيب .
5- يكفيهما من الشراب حسوتا منقار .
6- ومن بيادر الغلال حبتان .
7- وفي ظلام الليل يعقد الجناح صرة من الحنان .
8- على وحيده الزغيب .
9- ذات مساء حط من عالي السماء أجدل منهوم .
10- ليشرب الدماء .
11- ويعلك الأشلاء و الدماء .
12- وحار طائري الصغير برهة , ثم انتفض .
13- معذرة صديقتي , حكايتي حزينة الختام .
14- لأنني حزين .
1- For my love I shall sing a small song .
2- About the small bird .
3- Who lived with his fresh plumed bird .
4- And his beloved in his nest .
5- The soft smooth touch of their beaks sufficed as a drink .
6- Couple grains of the winnowing sustained their life .
7- In the darkness , he nestles his little bird under his wings .
8- On his fresh plumed bird .
9- One evening a greedy hawk swooped from the heights .
10- To drink their blood .
11- To tear their flesh .
12- For a while , my little bird suffered then he quivered in a spasm
of death .
13- Sorrow my love , my tale has a sad ending .
14- For I am filled with sadness .
| || || |
To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:
You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »
Important For Translation... Arabic
|Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof|
Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership.
The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.
More info »
|Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business|
Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.
More info »