Resource: English->Arabic dictionary
Thread poster: Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Local time: 13:43
Swedish to English
+ ...
Mar 6, 2004

I am scouting for a good dictionary of the kind mentioned above. This is actually not so easy in the US. Moreover, it should have the following: English entry, Arabic entry in Arabic letters and (important!) transcribed so that there is no mistake about the Arabic pronunciation.

Hans Wehr's (I think is the author's name) dictionary (which I have) does this marvellously, but in the opposite direction.

It would be preferable that such a title is ISBNumbered, ie, is ava
... See more
I am scouting for a good dictionary of the kind mentioned above. This is actually not so easy in the US. Moreover, it should have the following: English entry, Arabic entry in Arabic letters and (important!) transcribed so that there is no mistake about the Arabic pronunciation.

Hans Wehr's (I think is the author's name) dictionary (which I have) does this marvellously, but in the opposite direction.

It would be preferable that such a title is ISBNumbered, ie, is available as a "book in print," so that it may be obtained from inside the US, rather than imported.
PS. There are virtually no foreign language bookstores left in the US, when I say foreign, I mean other than French, Italian, German and Spanish.

Many thanks, shukran!
Collapse

conny
conny  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:43
English to German
+ ...
Al-Mawrid (EN-AR) Mar 6, 2004

Hi,
IMO there is the Al-Mawrid dict. EN-AR (BEIRUT, Dar Al-Ilm Lilmalayyin, 1978, is what I have), but there is no Arabic pronounciation included since it explains all terms in plain Arabic. It would be difficult for the scope of the book to transliterate all texts into English. In this respect, it differs from Hans Wehr.
Unfortunately, I do not know, if there is a new one on the market. You may send an inquiry to the Leipzig University, Oriental Institute of Languages, Prof. Dr. Sc
... See more
Hi,
IMO there is the Al-Mawrid dict. EN-AR (BEIRUT, Dar Al-Ilm Lilmalayyin, 1978, is what I have), but there is no Arabic pronounciation included since it explains all terms in plain Arabic. It would be difficult for the scope of the book to transliterate all texts into English. In this respect, it differs from Hans Wehr.
Unfortunately, I do not know, if there is a new one on the market. You may send an inquiry to the Leipzig University, Oriental Institute of Languages, Prof. Dr. Schultz. If one knows, he will do.
Collapse

conny
conny  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:43
English to German
+ ...
Al-Mawrid (EN-AR) Mar 6, 2004

The only one I know so far is the Al-MAWRID (EN-AR Dict. from Beirut, 1978), may be there are younger issues. But there is no pronounciation of Arab terms included just as in HANS WEHR. Best you send an inquiry to the university experts in Leipzig, Oriental Institute of Languages www.oilnet.de, to Prof. Dr. Schultz.
Good luck
C. Kauert

Ouadoud
Ouadoud  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:43
English to Arabic
+ ...
Contact Amer Al Azem Mar 7, 2004

salaam,

contact Amer Al Azem at [email protected], there's a group of experts discussing these matters on a yahoogroup and i'm sure you'll get a convincing authoritative answer.

Good luck
Ouadoud

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Local time: 13:43
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Shukran! Mar 8, 2004

or is it "afuan"?

Anyway, thank you all for helpful answers. I did join that Yahoo group, BTW.

I was actually wondering whether Hans Wehr had been affiliated with the University in Leipzig in some fashion.

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 10:43
English to Arabic
+ ...
Arabic Bookstores in the US Mar 8, 2004

Greetings.

Today is Monday, March 8, 2004.

Several / many Arabic bookstores -- including a few chains -- are available in the US. Some carry large and multi-category stocks, and a few carry only specialized materials in certain categories.

Most of the individual Arabic bookstores and chain outlets are concentrated in these areas:

o New York City

o Detroit / Warren, MI (i.e., International Book Center)

o Washington,
... See more
Greetings.

Today is Monday, March 8, 2004.

Several / many Arabic bookstores -- including a few chains -- are available in the US. Some carry large and multi-category stocks, and a few carry only specialized materials in certain categories.

Most of the individual Arabic bookstores and chain outlets are concentrated in these areas:

o New York City

o Detroit / Warren, MI (i.e., International Book Center)

o Washington, DC / Falls Church / Fairfax, VA (al-Hekmat), adjacent MD

o California, esp. Orange County (Buena Park and Anaheim), i.e., al-Baraka, al-Hekmat, and Jarir (part of al-Kitab al-Arabi chain)

o Texas (Dallas - Fort Worth area, Houston area, Austin, and San Antonio)

o Nashville, TN

o Seattle, WA

Most of the publications those bookstores carry -- or can order -- are published in Lebanon, Syria, Egypt, or Tunisia.

If you are looking for English > Arabic dictionaries or v.v, you might do some web searches for the sites for the Arabic bookstores in those areas, where you would most likely find a source.

Re correct pronunciation in the Arabic: are you seeking dictionaries for use in translation projects or interpreting assignments?

Hope this helps.

Khair, in sha' Allah.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
(English Arabic,
Kurdish and Farsi)
San Pedro, California
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resource: English->Arabic dictionary

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »