Thread poster: Inacio Steinhardt

Inacio Steinhardt  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 09:36
Hebrew to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 18, 2014

Dear Coleagues,

For a study unrelated to my work as a translator I need to learn or confirm the real meaning of the word ISHBUNA (or vey similar) in ancient Arabic.

I was told that it meant HARBOUR but without any source for the information.
If you know the answer, or if you can recommend any reliable authority whom I can ask, please write to me to inacio@steinhardts.com

Thank you
Inacio Steinhardts

Direct link Reply with quote

Mohamed A. Moustafa  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
إشبونة/لشبونة Aug 21, 2014

That could be the name of an Andalusian military base for Muslims called Lisbon. There is a reference indicating that Abd al-Rahman al-Dakhil built ship factories in a number of cities including Ishbuna (Libson).
http://shamela.ws/browse.php/book-36578/page-771

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Meaning of ISHBUNA in ancient Arabic

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search