Hans Wehr Arabic English MWA Dictionary
Thread poster: abes_
abes_
English
Feb 12, 2005

I remember hearing so good things about this book so I saved up some money to get it, then when I finally got it, I looked up the verb Ka-fa-ra, and he said the Mudari of this verb is Yakfiru? I have never heard anything other than Yakfuru. With some verbs the Mudari form is not even provided.

Wa Allahu ta'ala mosta'an.

What are some of your thoughts regarding this dictionary? Who was Hans Wehr btw?

Direct link Reply with quote

Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
YAKFURU is the standard form Feb 13, 2005

I assume you have the new edition. I have the 1980 reprint of the 1974 edition, which does not attempt to conjugate this verb. In any case, Han Wehr is not exactly an authority on Arabic conjugation. The work is a dusty, musty, dated lexicon, but like all lexicons, still useful. You can read about its origin in the preface and introduction. As to the man himself, Hans Wehr is the author of Hans Wehr. There is hardly any other information in circulation about the man.

If you still have a few dollars left, and you are interested in conjugating Arabic verbs, you may want to purchase a monolingual Arabic dictionary. You can also consult online dictionaries, such as those on the Ajeeb.com website.

abes_
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your response Feb 13, 2005

I do have the 201 Arabic Verbs by Raymond Scheindlin (0-8120-0547-3), which is very useful. I also have a Dictionary of the Quran (Abdul Mannan Omar) which conjugates and explains all verbs used in the Quran, also extremely useful.

abes_
English
TOPIC STARTER
Monolingual dictionary Feb 13, 2005

Forgot to put this in my response.

Can you recommend a good monolingual dictionary with correct conjugation?

Dr. Günther orth
Germany
Local time: 18:09
Arabic to German
+ ...
Hans Wehr Apr 23, 2005

The Ar-German dict. of H. Wehr is still the most useful reference for classical Arabic in this language pair. He might be wrong with yakfiru, but you should take into consideration that the second vocal of the "mudari'" in Arabic is often not exactly defined, and therefore controversial.

Dr. Günther Orth, Berlin

Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
The original question was about the Arabic-English version Apr 24, 2005

Dr. Günther Orth wrote:

The Ar-German dict. of H. Wehr is still the most useful reference for classical Arabic in this language pair.

That may very well be the case. If it is, it is time for a serious update.

As to the Arabic-English version is an oft-useful relic.

John Colangelo  Identity Verified
Qatar
Local time: 20:09
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
It´s Pretty Useful... Jun 11, 2005

I was surprised to see that Hans Wehr put the present of كَفَرَ with a kasra. I really don´t know how to explain that slip up of the pen. At any rate, it is useful especially for those who cannot afford Lane´s Arabic-English lexicon. Steingass is also a very benefitial. Nevertheless, it could use an update.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hans Wehr Arabic English MWA Dictionary

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search