dmoamin
dmoamin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:39
Arabic to English
+ ...
Jul 20, 2005

Hi all
Please accept me as a new person to this forum and to this wonderful site. I have a question about certifications for translators and or interpreters
I was wondering if anyone knows how to become a certified translator. I know about ATA, but , are there any other agencies ? Or any other providers for such certificates? if so can you provide some information please ?
I am more interested in the translators, rather than interpreters certifications, but, if you know of
... See more
Hi all
Please accept me as a new person to this forum and to this wonderful site. I have a question about certifications for translators and or interpreters
I was wondering if anyone knows how to become a certified translator. I know about ATA, but , are there any other agencies ? Or any other providers for such certificates? if so can you provide some information please ?
I am more interested in the translators, rather than interpreters certifications, but, if you know of any organization, association, agencies ,,, etc that provide one or both please let me know
Collapse

Nabil Chaiban (X)
Nabil Chaiban (X)
English to Arabic
+ ...
ATN-APTS Certification Jul 23, 2005

Arab Translators Network/Arab Professional Translators Society (http://www.arabtranslators.net) provide testing and certification of Arabic translators. ATN-APTS Members can take the test online. Members who pass the test are entitled to receive a certificate, a certified translator stamp (6 cm x 5 cm), and ATN-APTS letterhead.

For further information, please visit the following webpage:
... See more
Arab Translators Network/Arab Professional Translators Society (http://www.arabtranslators.net) provide testing and certification of Arabic translators. ATN-APTS Members can take the test online. Members who pass the test are entitled to receive a certificate, a certified translator stamp (6 cm x 5 cm), and ATN-APTS letterhead.

For further information, please visit the following webpage:
http://www.arabtranslators.net/atn_certified_members.asp

Regards,
Nabil Chaiban, Ph.D.
President
Arab Translators Network/
Arab Professional Translators Society

[Edited at 2005-07-23 18:00]
Collapse

dmoamin
United States
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Arabic network Jul 23, 2005

Hi

Thanks a lot for your help Mr. Chaiban. Can you please tell me if your organization is a credited one here in the US ? or is it just for the Middle East ?

Nabil Chaiban (X)
Nabil Chaiban (X)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Certification Jul 24, 2005

To my knowledge, there are no private certification bodies in any of the Arab countries. Government certification is limited to licensing by ministries of commerce in some countries, and ministries of justice in others, and in almost all cases you need to be connected to someone "in office", or to have some "push" to get the license. In most cases, university graduates in translation and translation related fields are not the ones receiving the licenses.

Arab governments do not acce
... See more
To my knowledge, there are no private certification bodies in any of the Arab countries. Government certification is limited to licensing by ministries of commerce in some countries, and ministries of justice in others, and in almost all cases you need to be connected to someone "in office", or to have some "push" to get the license. In most cases, university graduates in translation and translation related fields are not the ones receiving the licenses.

Arab governments do not accept certification by private bodies, and insist that the government is the only body authorised to certify professionals in most, if not all fields.

Moreover, if the translator is a citizen of one country but living in another, which is the case for an unbelievably large number of translators of Palestenian, Jordanian, Egyptian, and Sudanese nationalities who live and work in Arab Gulf countries; some of whom were born in those Gulf countries or are working there for 20 or more years; such translators are not entitled to even apply for certification by government bodies, because the first condition is "you must be a citizen to apply".

We at Arab Translators Network are doing our utmost to provide a much needed service, FREE OF CHARGE. On our part, we try to make sure that the translator is truly qualified. As far as we have seen thusfar, our certified members do benefit from our ATN-APTS certification.

Regards,
Nabil Chaiban, Ph.D.
President
Collapse

dmoamin
United States
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks a lot Jul 27, 2005

Thanks a lot for your post but sorry i live in the US and i wanted to be certified here in the US
thanks a lot for the help

Khalid Alkodah
Khalid Alkodah
Qatar
Local time: 18:39
English to Arabic
+ ...
CLARIFICATION Aug 1, 2005

Dear Mr Nabil Chaiban:
How do u do?
What about that Association called WATA - World Arab Translators' Association?
I know it is a Belgian Association, but it is working mainly on the Arab ground. The Chairman of this Association is working in Qatar - as far as I know. They used to say that their Association is the only entity dealing with Arab translators; and that all other entities are just attempting to see light - "but in vain".
Thank you.

yacine
yacine  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:39
Arabic to French
+ ...
network Aug 27, 2005

Khalid Alkodah wrote:
Dear sir,
I recently created an international society for Arab tranlators.
All arab translators are welcomed.
If you are interested in it, please contact me directly.
Yacine

Dear Mr Nabil Chaiban:
How do u do?
What about that Association called WATA - World Arab Translators' Association?
I know it is a Belgian Association, but it is working mainly on the Arab ground. The Chairman of this Association is working in Qatar - as far as I know. They used to say that their Association is the only entity dealing with Arab translators; and that all other entities are just attempting to see light - "but in vain".
Thank you.

Nabil Chaiban (X)
Nabil Chaiban (X)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Arabic WATA Sep 4, 2005

Dear Mr. Al-Kodah

It is unfortunate that Arab associations find themselves with no alternative but to register themselves outside the Arab World because of the prohibitive regulations that prevail in all Arab countries. Arabic WATA and its President Mr. Amer Al-Azem and his colleagues are working very hard to provide services and assistance to Arab translators. Unfortunately they have to rely on personal funds paid mainly by Mr. Al-Azem and a few of his colleagues to cover expenses
... See more
Dear Mr. Al-Kodah

It is unfortunate that Arab associations find themselves with no alternative but to register themselves outside the Arab World because of the prohibitive regulations that prevail in all Arab countries. Arabic WATA and its President Mr. Amer Al-Azem and his colleagues are working very hard to provide services and assistance to Arab translators. Unfortunately they have to rely on personal funds paid mainly by Mr. Al-Azem and a few of his colleagues to cover expenses and to run the extensive gateway they manage at http://www.arabicwata.org.

I am proud to be a member of Arabic WATA, and I would like to encourage all Arabic translators to join this association.

Nabil Chaiban, Ph.D.
President
Collapse

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
English to Arabic
+ ...
Dec 19, 2005

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
English to Arabic
+ ...
Only one correction... Apr 6, 2006

Ahmad Wadan wrote:

In brief, I got strong impression that this Society just care for fees and after you pay you discover that it is a waste.

I have to mention, to clear my conscience, that ATN-APTS declare that they do not receive fees for certificate and the money I sent was for shipment ($25 for the certificate), and even the stamp that costs $45 they do not get any profit from it as this price is the cost price (however I see that $45 goes far beyond the cost price). Otherwise, all other points I mentioned are right in my view.

Ahmad Wadan
www.arablish.com

Ghina
Ghina
United States
Local time: 11:39
English to Arabic
ATN/APTS Apr 8, 2006

Mr. Wadan,
I respect your view, but I find myself completely against it. From my experience, the communication was excellent, and I did feel as a valued member even though I didn't pay any membership fees.
As for the website, I think that it's highly professional and promising.. We should really back up and support such a pilot project offering this amount of services for free with such a quality.
Regarding the $25 it was for the shipping of the certificate (I got it in 3 day
... See more
Mr. Wadan,
I respect your view, but I find myself completely against it. From my experience, the communication was excellent, and I did feel as a valued member even though I didn't pay any membership fees.
As for the website, I think that it's highly professional and promising.. We should really back up and support such a pilot project offering this amount of services for free with such a quality.
Regarding the $25 it was for the shipping of the certificate (I got it in 3 days) and I live in Canada.. So it was priority mail sent with UPS. This cost is really very reasonable.
Finally, please let us not advise others of what they should or should not do... Everyone of us is independent enough to judge what he sees and to decide what to do.
Wishing luck for everybody....
Collapse

Sam Berner
Sam Berner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:39
Member (2003)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Reply to Ahmed Apr 12, 2006

[quote]Ahmad Wadan wrote:

- Buggy website
- Bad communication

[close quote]

I attempted the exam twice on that website, and in both times the site failed me: once it timed out on me after pressing "next" and the second time it gave me "SQL server error" or similar inability to access the database on their end.

I wrote a complaint to Mr. Nabil, and did get a response saying they were still working on the website and that he will inform me when he is ready. That was more than a year ago, and I still have to hear from him.

The other issue with certification is that if it is not internationally recognized, then it is rather useless. At least WATA, of which I am not a big fan, is making serious attempts to get recognized by the UNESCO.

From my long freelance and in-house experience as a translator, I can also say that few agencies these days look for "certification". Most will look first for tangible experience (stuff similar to what they want you to do that you have done already), years of work, references and how much you charge. There was even a study done in Canada on how important "accreditation" (same thing) is for them, and they found out that approx. only 4% of advertisers were looking for it.

What is important in Australia, on the other hand, is profesional development and continued practice. Here, translators wanting to work for government translating official documents need to be accredited by NAATI (a government body). Since making money from a few drivers' licenses and birth certificates is a joke, you can really live without that. But PD is something you cannot - you must be able to show that you are continually on the learning bend, that you are attending conferences, writing on the subject, presenting workshops, etc.

Since you know of ATA, I strongly encourage you to join, as they are internationally reknown. Once you join that, you can also then apply to the British ITI (very stringent joining regulations, though) and the Australian AUSIT.

But concentrate on marketing yourself first and foremost - pieces of paper are just that: shwayat waraq la biywadi wa la byijib.

sal4trans
sal4trans
Local time: 19:39
Arabic to English
I got a good response from ATN-APTS Apr 29, 2007

It is sad that the site has been out of service for some time now, but when I took the test, the site was functioning properly, and I did get a good response from them...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certifications

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »