Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 06:50
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
Sep 24, 2005

Hello everybody

I'm having this problem. I'm located in Gaza-Palestine, and I was trying to find a chance to apply for an accreditation online. Does any of you have an idea about where should I start?

The political situation around here doesn't make it easy for me to travel, and I don't even think that I can afford that

I'm looking for ONLINE chances ... you know ... submitting an application and applying for the language test online, or even in any of the councils or even embassies located in Gaza. Payment via credit card or PayPal maybe.

Any suggestions?

Direct link Reply with quote

Mumtaz
English to Arabic
+ ...
ATA Sep 24, 2005

Dina Abdo wrote:

Hello everybody

I'm having this problem. I'm located in Gaza-Palestine, and I was trying to find a chance to apply for an accreditation online. Does any of you have an idea about where should I start?

The political situation around here doesn't make it easy for me to travel, and I don't even think that I can afford that

I'm looking for ONLINE chances ... you know ... submitting an application and applying for the language test online, or even in any of the councils or even embassies located in Gaza. Payment via credit card or PayPal maybe.

Any suggestions?

Hi Dina,

I would highly recommend ATA,
http://www.atanet.org/

Good Luck

Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's not an online test Mumtaz! Sep 25, 2005

Mumtaz wrote:

Hi Dina,

I would highly recommend ATA,
http://www.atanet.org/

Good Luck

Hi Mumtaz

I viewed ATA's link as you suggested, but couldn't really find any indication of "online" tests. I just couldn't find any!

If you're sure it's there, then can you send me the direct link please? *blush*

Thanks in advance

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:50
English to Arabic
+ ...
ATA "accreditation" Oct 10, 2005

Greetings... taHaiya Tayyiba wa b3d...

The ATA also offers its members (meaning you would have to sign up and pay to join ATA) a process of "peer accreditation" for Arabic > English and English > Arabic translation.

You then submit samples of source texts and their translations to ATA, which periodically (annually, as best I recall, alhtough you might query the ATA management directly for details) convenes a board of expert bilingual translatos who assess and evaluate your work. You can also include letters of recommendation with your packet for such accreditation.

Mr. Fuad Yahya may be able to provide you with more currentt details, as he holds a number of credible accreditations and professional certifications. Fuad is one of the best translators in the business, and I would defer to his judgment and good advice.

You might bear in mind that an "accreditation" or certification awarded by organizations outside your home country may have litle substantive or beneficial effect on growing your business identity and presence in the worldwide language services industry.

Hope this helps. Khair, in sha' Allah.

Sincerely,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California

Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Stephen! Oct 10, 2005

It was absolutely helpful Stephen

Thanks again

Ana Kardum  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 05:50
German to Croatian
+ ...
ATA accreditation Dec 15, 2005

Dina,

Maybe I am curious, but did you manage to take/submit the test translations and receive your ATA accreditation?

I also thought about this, but I concluded that it is maybe not so much important for my business at the moment. The experience and quality are actually what counts. However, it would certainly be good to list this in my profile...

Let me know your experience!

Thanks and all the best.)

Sam Berner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 14:50
Member (2003)
English to Arabic
+ ...
An online degree Dec 24, 2005

The UNISA (university of South Africa) provides both a postgrad diploma and a Masters in translation specializing in Arabic.

All courses and exams are online.

Cost is extremely reasonable, even by Gaza standards.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking Online Credential

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search