Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:47
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 2, 2005

I just purchased this new book from the local bookstore and I was very impressed. Since it is a little expensive, I wanted to let others know that it is definitely worth the money.

Not only is it comprehensive at 708 pages, but the explanations are more than ample and written in very clear English and the sample sentences are provided both in Arabic script and well as a transliteration along with the English translation, making this grammar accessible to both beginning as well as ad
... See more
I just purchased this new book from the local bookstore and I was very impressed. Since it is a little expensive, I wanted to let others know that it is definitely worth the money.

Not only is it comprehensive at 708 pages, but the explanations are more than ample and written in very clear English and the sample sentences are provided both in Arabic script and well as a transliteration along with the English translation, making this grammar accessible to both beginning as well as advanced Arabic students.

Amazon currently lists it at $70, but I was able to purchase it at my local bookshop (Borders) for $58.00.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0521777712/102-5603050-8748132

"A Reference Grammar of Modern Standard Arabic by Karin C. Ryding (2005)is a comprehensive handbook on the structure of Arabic. Keeping technical technology to a minimum, it provides a detailed yet accessible overview of Modern Standard Arabic in which the essential aspects of its phonology, morphology, and syntax can be readily looked up and understood..."

ISBN: 0521777712
Collapse

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
Thank you, Jeff Nov 2, 2005

... for announcing this find. I hope to be able to take a closer look at it.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:47
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New Reference Grammar of Modern Standard Arabic Nov 2, 2005

You're welcome. I also noticed that Amazon offers a digital (pdf) version of the book for $28.00.

Fuad Yahya wrote:

... for announcing this find. I hope to be able to take a closer look at it.

[Edited at 2005-11-02 20:31]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Reference Grammar of Modern Standard Arabic

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »