Thread poster: Nesrin
Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:44
English to Arabic
+ ...
Dec 5, 2006

This is just a very minor issue but it's beginning to irritate me - lately I've been proofreading a lot of Arabic documents where the commas used are these
instead of these
،
To me this looks plain wrong, so I find and replace them, which doesn't really take long (but can be dangerous if the commas appear in numbers and shouldn't be replaced). But is this acceptable? Anyone know a reason for this increased use?

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 18:44
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mental laziness or haste by the translator/typist AND the editor Dec 5, 2006

Dear Nesrin... ahalan wa sahalan...

Re your good question: "...anyone know a reason (for this increased use of incorrect Arabic commas in documents)?"

Comment/observation: Having encountered that feature in (way too) many Arabic products, I would ascribe that faulty practice to mental laziness or haste on the part of two main actors in that translation:

1. The translator/typist - who did not set or use the complete features of Arabic language support whil
... See more
Dear Nesrin... ahalan wa sahalan...

Re your good question: "...anyone know a reason (for this increased use of incorrect Arabic commas in documents)?"

Comment/observation: Having encountered that feature in (way too) many Arabic products, I would ascribe that faulty practice to mental laziness or haste on the part of two main actors in that translation:

1. The translator/typist - who did not set or use the complete features of Arabic language support while doing the typing/word-processing

AND

2. The editor - here making a reasonable supposition that an editor was involved in the production cycle before the final Arabic product was delivered into the customer's hands or otherwise "hit the streets."

Amateurs show themselves by such sloppiness.

Khair, in shaa' Allah.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California
Collapse

Mumtaz
Mumtaz
Local time: 04:44
English to Arabic
+ ...
Machine Translation Interface Dec 5, 2006

Nesrin wrote:

Anyone know a reason for this increased use?

Yes, I know. That's because most translators use machine translation softwares without setting the language to Arabic.
I came a cross this problem when used Golden Wafi v1.12 in 2004, I managed to solve it by changing the interface to Arabic.

Regards

AhmedAMS
AhmedAMS  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 05:44
English to Arabic
+ ...
Non-professionalism Dec 5, 2006

Amateurs show themselves by such sloppiness.
For me, I would say that Stephen put it correctly. I bet that it is mediocre quality as well.

Nesrin wrote:

(but can be dangerous if the commas appear in numbers and shouldn't be replaced).

Would you allow me to ask about the decimal point?
Please clarify if you mean the English comma or the Arabic comma.

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 04:44
English to Arabic
+ ...
Carelessness & lack of language respect Dec 6, 2006

Nesrin wrote:

This is just a very minor issue but it's beginning to irritate me - lately I've been proofreading a lot of Arabic documents where the commas used are these
instead of these
،
To me this looks plain wrong, so I find and replace them, which doesn't really take long (but can be dangerous if the commas appear in numbers and shouldn't be replaced). But is this acceptable? Anyone know a reason for this increased use?

Hi Nesrin,
As for reasons: I think (Carelessness & lack of language/style/QA respect).

To overcome places where there are numbers you can apply Find & Replace to selected sections where there are no numbers or apply to all then change the places of numbers by the same way.

Kind regards
http://wadan.arablish.com

English-Arabic Financial Translator
English-Arabic IT Translator

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Arabic commas

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »