Pawel Smorczewski
Pawel Smorczewski
Poland
Local time: 02:19
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 17, 2007

Hi,
I've posted this topic on SLT Trados technical support forum but nobody seemed to be interested in giving me an answer. Maybe some of you use Trados and have experienced this kind of a problem, so here goes:
I'm using Trados 6.5 and I experience a peculiar problem when translating an Arabic text into Polish. Haven't tried into other languages by the way.
As I open a segment the first Arabic word becomes the last in the open segment highlighted in MS Word. The rest of the se
... See more
Hi,
I've posted this topic on SLT Trados technical support forum but nobody seemed to be interested in giving me an answer. Maybe some of you use Trados and have experienced this kind of a problem, so here goes:
I'm using Trados 6.5 and I experience a peculiar problem when translating an Arabic text into Polish. Haven't tried into other languages by the way.
As I open a segment the first Arabic word becomes the last in the open segment highlighted in MS Word. The rest of the sentence remains unchanged. However, the whole sentence retains its original word order when I look at the Translator's Workbench source language box.
When I work with other language pairs this problem does not occur.
The thing is annoying and I don't really know how it affects TM because I'm a beginner in this pair with Trados.
Does anybody have any suggestions of what the solution to this problem might be?
Collapse

Ahmad Hassaballa
Ahmad Hassaballa  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:19
Member (2005)
German to Arabic
+ ...
Align the text to right Jan 17, 2007

Hello Ismipawel,

In think you need first to select the whole text (Ctrl + A) and choose the right alignment for it: Select Format > Paragraph and Direction: Right-to-left in your word file.

Don't worry about the TM.. the text remains correct in it. You can make sure by selecting File > Maintenance > Begin from the TM.

I hope this works

Kind regards,

Ahmad

w2m14
w2m14
English to Arabic
Show/Hide Paragraph Mark Jan 21, 2007

Hi ismipawel & Ahmad

Try to use the "Show/hide Paragraph mark" option from the tool bar. You can also do that by pressing (Ctrl + Shift + 8).

note: 8 from the main key set not from the numbers pad.

thanks

Pawel Smorczewski
Pawel Smorczewski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mystery solved Jan 22, 2007

Hi,

Thank you for your ideas, I really appreciate the help, but none of them actually worked. The solution was something simpler than that and more obvious as well. It turns out that if you want to work with different languages in Word you'd better have proper language settings:)

So all I needed to do is go to Start->All Programs->Microsoft Office->Microsoft Office Tools->Language Settings and install some additional data so that my Word could work properly:) [read tha
... See more
Hi,

Thank you for your ideas, I really appreciate the help, but none of them actually worked. The solution was something simpler than that and more obvious as well. It turns out that if you want to work with different languages in Word you'd better have proper language settings:)

So all I needed to do is go to Start->All Programs->Microsoft Office->Microsoft Office Tools->Language Settings and install some additional data so that my Word could work properly:) [read that in MS Word help]
I had the Arabic keybord settings but the program did not recognise my text as a right-to-left language, hence the bizzare 'jumping' of words.

Talking about a newbie, huh?

Thank you,
ismipawel
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados problem with word order

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »