Continued abuse of Kudoz on the En>Ar pages
Thread poster: Nesrin
randam
randam  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:12
English to Arabic
+ ...
I filtered them OUT Jan 13, 2008

The smartest thing to do, and spares me a lot of headache. After two days of jamming my inbox with their queries, I do not receive any notification for questions from the users mentioned. The filtering works also for viewing kudoz questions.

I don't think this problem is unique to our language pair. What is unique though is our community's tolerance of it, despite its blatancy.

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:12
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Precisely, it's the tolerance Jan 13, 2008

Randa Moukayed wrote:
What is unique though is our community's tolerance of it, despite its blatancy.

I've filtered one of them out as well, but whenever I open the Kudoz pages I'm still annoyed by the amount of space take up by these two, and the amount of attention and help they get.

This is my very final attempt to do anything about this.

If I get the impression that members of this forum would like me to "get a life" and stop bothering myself with these trivial matters, I will certainly not bring it up again.

وعلى رأي المثل - يا داخل بين البصلة وقشرتها....
and
ربنا يهني سعيد بسعيدة

Who am I to protest when everyone's happy?? Maybe there are more important things in life??????? I wonder....

Abdallah Ali
Abdallah Ali  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
ربنا يهني سعيد بسعيدة :D Jan 13, 2008

It is sometimes difficult to understand this violation both by askers and answerers. If someone stands and brings this up, they will be misunderstood and called 'aggressive'. Come on! For God's sake!

Do those answeres really want to help? Are they too 'kind' not to see the truth that such askers are having fun? They don't even bother to open a dictionary or indicate the field related to their questions.
... See more
It is sometimes difficult to understand this violation both by askers and answerers. If someone stands and brings this up, they will be misunderstood and called 'aggressive'. Come on! For God's sake!

Do those answeres really want to help? Are they too 'kind' not to see the truth that such askers are having fun? They don't even bother to open a dictionary or indicate the field related to their questions.

WHY does this happen all the time? Simply because there are seemingly generous answerers providing them with help for free or let me say for 'disrespect'.

For those who believe that such askers are new to the site or have difficulty, I say no. As Nesrin posted many links earlier, those guys know the system too well and keep changing IDs and profiles for the sake of having more questions answered for them. One of them was doing the same, even much worse, on another linguist website. He pissed off that site's moderators and now he is doing what he wants here in spite of the various warning message sent to him.

On the other hand, the site is localized into Arabic. If someone is having troubles with English, they can simply switch to the Arabic version.

Dear Nesrin, they are not trivial matters. I believe people need to abide by the rules. I don't like any stereotype about us ignoring the rules wherever we go to be affirmed by askers and answerers here.

Yesterday, I contacted a moderator and drew her attention to one of the violations. She sent the asker a warning message and promised to take further actions if he doesn't comply.

For our generous answerers, الله يعطيهم العافية, if they have the time to waste on those asker, then let it be! This doesn't mean we didn't or don't want to help new comers, but rules are rules. I have been here for a while and noticed that many new comers made mistakes but they were determined to learn. Now they use the system very well just because THEY WANTED TO.

The question is DO ANSWERERS WANT TO BE MALTREATED ALL THE TIME by those askers? i.e. not to show them some courtesy by grading their questions or at least by providing context, which eventually will help the askers themselves obtain an accurate translation.

Until then, I have flagged them and won't comment and still invite other pro translators not to provide help to such careless askers.

[Edited at 2008-01-14 06:35]
Collapse

Mohamed Elsayed
Mohamed Elsayed  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
You are not alone! Jan 13, 2008

Nesrin wrote:

This is my very final attempt to do anything about this.

If I get the impression that members of this forum would like me to "get a life" and stop bothering myself with these trivial matters, I will certainly not bring it up again.

Dear Nesrin, you are not the only one concerned with this abuse of the Kudoz system, I want to assure you that even if the replies to this posting were limited in number, I still beleive that other professionals in our forum do really care about that matter. I also think that abuse of the system is so far away from being considered as trivial maters.

I am glad you brought this up and hope we can keep the discussion alive as long as it takes to come up with a way that optimizes the usage of the kudoz service.

I think many of us are seriously affected by that abuse, we are negatively affected when professionals such as you, Abdallah and others begin to lose interest in participating and offering their help. The damage is also done to the glossary entries when not abiding by the "one term per question" rule for instance.

Still, what i really hope for is to spread and increase the awareness of this damage. After all we all adults and professionals, for how long will we run after points?

Regards,
Mohamed

Saleh Dardeer
Saleh Dardeer  Identity Verified
Arabic to English
+ ...
Thanks! Jan 15, 2008

Hello!

All what I can say, I do thank Nesrine for raising this topic. Whenever I thought to ask those colleagues why they did so, I refrained lest it should be understood as...! Actually, such approach dissuaded me, and perhaps many colleagues as well, from participating in Kudoz in the last days. I hope things become better!

Best Regards

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Please call moderators Jan 16, 2008

Dear All,
As moderator I have hidden all posts in this thread because the initial post violated the rule:
3.7 Commentary on askers or answerers, and their postings or decisions to post, is not allowed. Comments or insinuations concerning an answerer's or asker's experience or profile, his/her decision to post a certain question or answer, grade or close a question in a certain way, make a certain glossary entry, etc., are strictly prohibited (whether posted publicly, made direct
... See more
Dear All,
As moderator I have hidden all posts in this thread because the initial post violated the rule:
3.7 Commentary on askers or answerers, and their postings or decisions to post, is not allowed. Comments or insinuations concerning an answerer's or asker's experience or profile, his/her decision to post a certain question or answer, grade or close a question in a certain way, make a certain glossary entry, etc., are strictly prohibited (whether posted publicly, made directly to the person in question, or made to another site user).

This also includes forum discussions about individual askers or answerers behaviour in KudoZ.

If you ever have any concerns about possible rules breaking in KudoZ area - please call a moderator. Even if currently there is no moderator assigned to Arabic, please call any other moderator (just choose any from the list http://www.proz.com/?sp=mod/list) or site staff (use the Support Ticket).

Thank you for you understanding.

Magda
Collapse

Nesrin
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
disappointed... Jan 16, 2008

Thank you Magda,

I'm sure my initial posting about Kudoz rules abusers shows that I am very concerned about Proz rules in general. I have to admit though that I was not aware of this forum rule in particular, and that I'm pretty sure I've read many forum postings before, which, if not mentioning a certain person by name, included links which demonstrated a person's inappropriate behaviour (which to me is the same as mentioning the person's name).

But I'm not replying t
... See more
Thank you Magda,

I'm sure my initial posting about Kudoz rules abusers shows that I am very concerned about Proz rules in general. I have to admit though that I was not aware of this forum rule in particular, and that I'm pretty sure I've read many forum postings before, which, if not mentioning a certain person by name, included links which demonstrated a person's inappropriate behaviour (which to me is the same as mentioning the person's name).

But I'm not replying to protest about Proz rules. I'm just disappointed about the fact that a discussion which was written by people concerned about things happening on the site, and which was starting to show very positive results after a long period of frustration felt by many members, has suddenly been hidden without a word of warning. Why didn't you, for example, send me an email asking me to edit my initial posting to hide the names of the rule abusers posted? I would have gladly done that.

The two abusers referred to in the initial posting had been sent links to this forum discussion, and I believe it has already led to a change in the behaviour of one of them. It would be a shame if they misinterpreted the fact that the discussion was hidden as a move in their favour.

Regards,

Nesrin

[Edited at 2008-01-16 07:56]
Collapse

Nesrin
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PS Jan 16, 2008

Even the two abusers referred to above were sent gentle reminders and given repeated warnings before frustrated members decided to be more drastic against them. So I think it would have only been fair to expect the same treatment as a (generally) rule-abiding member. I would still highy appreciate if that discussion was un-hidden, and as I said I'd be happy to hide the names of any persons mentioned.

Thank you

Waleed Mohamed
Waleed Mohamed  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 20:12
English to Arabic
+ ...
Agree with Nesrin Jan 16, 2008

I agree with Nesrin viewpoint.

Waleed

randam
randam  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
Here as well in support of continuing this discussion Jan 16, 2008

Our language community is very tolerant of blatant abuse to Kudoz rules, and Nesrin's postings on the subject was the only active behavior against the continued abuse.
A quick review to the questions in the EN>AR pair reveals questions about sentences, and sometimes even paragraphs of simple text. The serial abusers have not one single profile, but a set of them with 'professional' names that sound like johndoe01, johndoe02, Spiderman, Superman etc.

I think the role of the mo
... See more
Our language community is very tolerant of blatant abuse to Kudoz rules, and Nesrin's postings on the subject was the only active behavior against the continued abuse.
A quick review to the questions in the EN>AR pair reveals questions about sentences, and sometimes even paragraphs of simple text. The serial abusers have not one single profile, but a set of them with 'professional' names that sound like johndoe01, johndoe02, Spiderman, Superman etc.

I think the role of the moderators has to be more decisive in cases like these, and they have to be given more authority to discipline such behaviour or even delete questions of serial abusers. We as a community have better things to do with our time than help Mr. Anonymous translate soap opera dialogue. We use proz as a professional platform, and we should be helped and empowered to keep it this way.

PS : The user names mentioned above are fictitious. Any resemblance to past, present or future users of the site is purely coincidental. I did not intend to name anyone in particular, so help me God.
Collapse

AhmedAMS
AhmedAMS  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:12
English to Arabic
+ ...
Who is losing and who is winning? Jan 16, 2008

Poor Nesrin! She found herself charged of being the mutiny leader against the holy rules of Proz.
Out of the blue, a moderator appeared to carelessly remove all the facts without spending the time to investigate the case thoroughly.
What a simple solution! She was supposed to radically correct the situation
Obviously, she has no idea of the deteriorated situation of the Arabic community. Sadly enough, the Arabic community has one moderator only while there are three moderators
... See more
Poor Nesrin! She found herself charged of being the mutiny leader against the holy rules of Proz.
Out of the blue, a moderator appeared to carelessly remove all the facts without spending the time to investigate the case thoroughly.
What a simple solution! She was supposed to radically correct the situation
Obviously, she has no idea of the deteriorated situation of the Arabic community. Sadly enough, the Arabic community has one moderator only while there are three moderators serving the English-English community.
It is a pity that the current situation is forcing good members to move away from the site.
Collapse

Mahmoud Helmi
Mahmoud Helmi  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
We back you, Nesrin Jan 16, 2008

I hope Magda will reconsider her decision. Her move guarantees continued abuse of our community as a whole. Nesrin isn't alone in her case. The majority of the Arab community in the site pays tribute to Nesrin's courageous initiative to regain the respect we members deserve in the face of people who don't give enough consideration for others inspite of repeated reminders. By the way, those abusers use fake non-proper names; names which have no meaning at all, that's why they don't feel shame to ... See more
I hope Magda will reconsider her decision. Her move guarantees continued abuse of our community as a whole. Nesrin isn't alone in her case. The majority of the Arab community in the site pays tribute to Nesrin's courageous initiative to regain the respect we members deserve in the face of people who don't give enough consideration for others inspite of repeated reminders. By the way, those abusers use fake non-proper names; names which have no meaning at all, that's why they don't feel shame to continue their behavior. They don't care a damn for what we ask them to do since they're hiding behind their virtual character, which of course doesn't have a reputation to be affected. Those people may be deterred and consider behaving well if they had their identity verified by Moderators and members.Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Continued abuse of Kudoz on the En>Ar pages

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »