Impact of September 2001
Thread poster: Sonia Rowland

Sonia Rowland
Local time: 12:22
German to English
+ ...
Apr 11, 2003

Am I the only one who experienced a severe drop in translating business since September 2001?

How do others cope?

Direct link Reply with quote

Steffen Pollex  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
The only thing I see a "severe drop" in Apr 11, 2003

is common sense in most regions of the world, among government officials, in particular.

And the purchasing power of the money I earn after the implementation of the Euro.

Cheers

Steffen

[ This Message was edited by: Steffen Pollex on 2003-04-11 14:53]

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Drop in business?!? Apr 11, 2003

I am turning down orders (mainly German to English) on a regular basis at the moment.

But if you\'re at a loose end, why not try out OmegaT?

Marc

C Greene  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Agree with Steffen... Apr 11, 2003

[quote]

On 2003-04-11 14:34, Steffen Pollex wrote:

is common sense in most regions of the world, among government officials, in particular.

And the purchasing power of the money I earn after the implementation of the Euro.

Re-agree with Steffen

There was however a bit of a slow down at the beginning of January this year but now.... well, I had better get back to work

Have a nice week end everyone !

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:22
German to English
+ ...
Agree with Marc Apr 11, 2003

I, too, have had to turn down several Ge-En jobs, because I\'m fully booked. (I\'m in the US).

Trudy

David Sirett
French to English
+ ...
Short answer: no Apr 11, 2003

2001 was a relatively poor year for me, but the problem was the _first_ half, when a major customer stopped outsourcing a lot of translation work.

2002 I worked most of the time, and 2003 has been very busy so far - I\'ve 50,000 words to do by the end of the month.

So, while some translators in some sectors might have been affected, there\'s no universal downturn in my opinion.

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:22
German to English
+ ...
Also full up Apr 12, 2003

Agree with Steffen on the common sense and workload issues - I am also full-up with Ge-En work. Except I invoice euros from the US, so the weak US dollar is helping me out right now.

Céline Graciet
Local time: 11:22
English to French
You're not alone Sonia! Apr 14, 2003

Just so you don\'t think you\'re the only one having had a slow few months; so have I (although this month is very busy) but only since September 2002... I suppose my flat was pristine during that time and I got addicted to reruns of ER, that\'s something to be happy about!

More seriously, whenever this subject has been broached recently, most people seemed to say that business had indeed slowed down, so I\'m surprised to read such positive posts. Good for you guys but you really are missing out on some fab daytime telly (I never thought I\'d enjoy watching half-drunk beer-bellied middle-aged men with a dodgy dress sense play darts, but I was wrong).

Try and put a money plant in your window. Didn\'t really work for me back in September(mind you, it\'s not looking too healthy), but you never know.

Good luck and keep positive, it\'ll pick up!

Céline

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:22
German to English
+ ...
Marketing time! Apr 15, 2003

Quote:

Try and put a money plant in your window. Didn\'t really work for me back in September(mind you, it\'s not looking too healthy), but you never know.

Good luck and keep positive, it\'ll pick up!

Céline

I have the Chinese symbol for prosperity framed on my wall myself - it\'s served me pretty well so far!

Seriously, though, now you have the downtime to do a big marketing blitz! Scour the Internet for possible customers, do those much-hated test translations, redo your resume/brochure, put up a Web site, etc.

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:22
German to English
Brief drop-off Apr 16, 2003

I experienced a sharp drop-off in late 2001 which lasted through the first quarter of 2002. A number of local US companies to I do business with indicated that they were posting fewer people overseas due to the increased awareness of terrorism.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Impact of September 2001

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search