How to manage big projects with several translators
Thread poster: Derry
Derry
Derry
English
May 8, 2003

Hello!

I was offered a very big translation project this morning, involving many thousands words. The deadline is quite tight so I would like to subcontract other translators to deliver the translation on time. My question is how do you technically keep the same terminology throughout if you have documents of the same kind? Any ideas? How is it done technically?

Thanks!

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:51
English to German
+ ...
Prepare the critical terminology first.. May 8, 2003

.. and distribute it as MultiTerm and/or tab-separated text files. (I know this is a lot of work, but it has to be done.)

There are also some CAT tools allowing the utilization of a common TM online (for those with flat rate connections).

Theoretically this should be possible with MetaTexis and KudoZ-glossaries, too, but I have not considered all of the technical problems possibly involved, yet.

Alternatively/additionally you can org
... See more
.. and distribute it as MultiTerm and/or tab-separated text files. (I know this is a lot of work, but it has to be done.)

There are also some CAT tools allowing the utilization of a common TM online (for those with flat rate connections).

Theoretically this should be possible with MetaTexis and KudoZ-glossaries, too, but I have not considered all of the technical problems possibly involved, yet.

Alternatively/additionally you can organize a daily exchange/merging of TMs.

Anyway, the reviewer will have to reconcile a lot..

[ This Message was edited by: Harry_B on 2003-05-08 22:54]
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:51
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Glossary (& Editor) May 9, 2003

Hi,

The creation of a glossary before starting with the translation is definitely the solution, provided you have enough time for it. I do this normally before translators receive the files for translation, but sometimes deadlines are so tight, that they have to start before I am finished.

As you are thinking of sharing the job, you should perhaps also act as editor in order to make sure that terminology and style are uniform throughout the whole transla
... See more
Hi,

The creation of a glossary before starting with the translation is definitely the solution, provided you have enough time for it. I do this normally before translators receive the files for translation, but sometimes deadlines are so tight, that they have to start before I am finished.

As you are thinking of sharing the job, you should perhaps also act as editor in order to make sure that terminology and style are uniform throughout the whole translation.

Giuliana
[addsig]
Collapse

Stéphan Goldsmith
Stéphan Goldsmith
Local time: 23:51
English to French
+ ...
Track your progress May 9, 2003

Hi,

The success of your project will also lie in the way you handle your translators.

If you have a large project with a tight deadline, you have to be able to spot the problems that will lead to potential delays as early as possible to find a solution. It is therefore important that people communicate and understand that you have your own deadline too.

Should you be using a translation memory application, preferably the same for al
... See more
Hi,

The success of your project will also lie in the way you handle your translators.

If you have a large project with a tight deadline, you have to be able to spot the problems that will lead to potential delays as early as possible to find a solution. It is therefore important that people communicate and understand that you have your own deadline too.

Should you be using a translation memory application, preferably the same for all the translators involved, you can always ask your translators to send you the files they translate everyday so you can consolidate the translation memory and redistribute it to all the people involved.

It is not as nice as a real-time shared memory over a network, but it is better than nothing. Besides, it gives you the opportunity to have a back up of all the work done, day by day. This is especially important if you have a lot of work and not a lot of time : you would not want to lose X hours work because of some technical issues.

Good luck

Stéphan
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to manage big projects with several translators

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »