https://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/11086-boston_globe_article_on_translation_the_danger_of_being_a_translator.html

Boston Globe Article on Translation: The Danger of Being a Translator
Thread poster: Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Lorianne Weston
Lorianne Weston
Local time: 09:07
French to English
+ ...
loved it May 16, 2003

Thanks for bringing this article to our attention on Proz! More proof that truth is stranger than fiction...

Lorianne Weston

Anu Mukharji-Gorski
Anu Mukharji-Gorski  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:07
German to English
+ ...
no politics May 16, 2003

\"On 2003-05-16 14:17, nonogogo wrote:

When being a good translator can get you -into real trouble. I think this man should be given a prize for surviving!

SADDAM AND UDAY GO TO THE MOVIES\"

What\'s happened to the \"no politics\" concept all of a sudden...

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 10:07
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Jane May 16, 2003

Two good reasons to hide your post:

the no politics policy of ProZ and the fact that Boston.com forbids explicitly to divulge their texts:

You may not copy, reproduce, distribute, publish, display, perform,

modify, create derivative works, transmit, or in any way exploit any

content on Boston.com, nor may you distribute any part of this content

over any network, including a local area network, sell or offer it for

... See more
Two good reasons to hide your post:

the no politics policy of ProZ and the fact that Boston.com forbids explicitly to divulge their texts:

You may not copy, reproduce, distribute, publish, display, perform,

modify, create derivative works, transmit, or in any way exploit any

content on Boston.com, nor may you distribute any part of this content

over any network, including a local area network, sell or offer it for

sale, or use such content to construct any kind of database.

http://www.boston.com/help/copyright/

Collapse

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ok no post from the Globe but it wasn't politics. May 17, 2003

Ok I shouldn\'t have posted the Globe article I should have pointed you to it.

However, the post is not political Claudia. How can you possibly think that posting such an article IS POLITICAL? It\'s just a fact that translating can be dangerous. You mean that this fact cannot be talked about? I\'m not taking sides or anything. I am just pointing it out. Of course, that might be considered political by some but I don\'t think it is. When someone is in danger of being kil
... See more

Ok I shouldn\'t have posted the Globe article I should have pointed you to it.

However, the post is not political Claudia. How can you possibly think that posting such an article IS POLITICAL? It\'s just a fact that translating can be dangerous. You mean that this fact cannot be talked about? I\'m not taking sides or anything. I am just pointing it out. Of course, that might be considered political by some but I don\'t think it is. When someone is in danger of being killed for being a translator, it is an issue to be pondered. Political would be taking sides. I am just saying there are some exiguous situations. Certainly, one can point that out.

A good day to you.

Jane
Collapse

Anu Mukharji-Gorski
Anu Mukharji-Gorski  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:07
German to English
+ ...
"Fact" May 17, 2003

Quote:

However, the post is not political Claudia. How can you possibly think that posting such an article IS POLITICAL? It\'s just a fact that translating can be dangerous.

It is political, because there is NO way of proving that what was served up as \"fact\" actually happened.

Regards,

Anu

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Definition of political IS not fact May 18, 2003

The definition of what is political is not a factual matter; it is a matter of the polis. I am sure you are studying this in your law studies....It implies a certain manoeuvering...

Be that as it may, I think a journalist would be hard pressed to make up that story...and it would be rather pointless as it has no particular interest other than to text workers...I also think it would be easy to see if the facts are true...Even if the translator whom the journalist wrote about
... See more
The definition of what is political is not a factual matter; it is a matter of the polis. I am sure you are studying this in your law studies....It implies a certain manoeuvering...

Be that as it may, I think a journalist would be hard pressed to make up that story...and it would be rather pointless as it has no particular interest other than to text workers...I also think it would be easy to see if the facts are true...Even if the translator whom the journalist wrote about made it all up...It\'s still interesting no matter how you cut it...

The last journalist that wrote a fake story for the NYT was fired on the spot...And the NYT owns the Boston Globe...

By the way, just so you get what I am really saying:

It\'s interesting either way, true or false...

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Boston Globe Article on Translation: The Danger of Being a Translator

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »