Thread poster: ETC LTD

ETC LTD  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:18
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
May 18, 2003

Would it be possible for some translators to observe minimum standard ? For example: payment AFTER an invoice has been received; invoice WITH address and BANK DETAILS.

Best regards,

Joachim

Direct link Reply with quote

Bob Kerns  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:18
Member (2002)
German to English
Just some translators ?? May 18, 2003

Do you only want \"some\" translators to observe a minimum standard?

If so I suggest you contact those translators directly rather than posting a topic like this which will be regarded as childish by the majority of serious translators.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are right May 18, 2003

Yes, I agree that this may be childish for the majority of serious translators. However, when you sit down to make bank transfers and you find \"invoices\" as mentioned above you really get angry.

SORRY,

Joachim

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Different practices May 18, 2003

Hi Joachim,

Although I can appreciate your frustration, the practices are different in different countries. And translation is by its nature an international business. For example, here in the UK, bank transfers are rare and it would be unusual to include bank details on an invoice. Which is not to say that people shouldn\'t have an idea of practices in the country they are dealing with, but does mean that misunderstandings can happen.

Regards

Mary

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:18
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
country-specific invoicing information May 18, 2003

Hi Mary,

you wrote

Quote:

2003-05-18 16:21 MaryR wrote:

...For example, here in the UK, bank transfers are rare and it would be unusual to include bank details on an invoice. ....

this is really surprising. How do you usually get paid? By cheque? Here in Germany, bank transfers are the absolute standard, in fact, I have never been paid any other way - even by customers in the UK.

Here, we have to quote bank details on our invoices (along with the VAT if inside Germany).

I wonder what the standard practices are in other countries - this might be of some use for those of us with foreign clients, present and future. What information is expected on invoices in the USA/Australia/Asia etc?

Just to kick off:

Germany:

Name

Address

Tel./Fax./E-mail (for new work! and only polite)

Bank details (Account no., Bank, Sorting code)

Name of translation/number of words or lines/price per line or word/total/VAT/sum

VAT no. if inside Germany (new and very important)

regards, Jill

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-05-18 16:42]

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
By cheque May 18, 2003

Quote:

this is really surprising. How do you usually get paid? By cheque? Here in Germany, bank transfers are the absolute standard, in fact, I have never been paid any other way - even by customers in the UK.

Normally by cheque. On the few occasions I have been paid by bank transfer here in the UK, the customer has been more than happy to come and ask me for my bank details.

On a similar vein, my boyfriend works as a computer consultant and has many more clients than I do. He has, if I remember correctly, never been paid by BACS (bank transfer - don\'t ask me what the acronym stands for ) in over six years of business.

FWIW, the details you need to include on a UK invoice are: name, billing name (e.g. if your bank account is in the name of Mary Richards Translations, you should say this), address, job number and details (word count, etc.) and VAT number if applicable (only if turnover is in excess of GBP 55,000, last I heard).

Regards

Mary

[ This Message was edited byn2003-05-18 16:49]

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-05-18 17:04]

Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
what do you mean and why this here? May 18, 2003

Hello Joachim,

I understand your concern and difficulty, just don\'t know why do you post this here? Shouldn\'t you contact the translators that don\'t fulfil your requirements and tell them about it? Shouldn\'t you inform your translators about those requirements once you send them work?

Companies do work differently, however they usually inform translators how they want nvoices to be.

Therefore, you can easily pass that info to people you work with but why are you upset with people that might not even work with you?

I am sorry, but I am really puzzled with your posting...

All the best

Mónica

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:18
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Ignorance of conditions in invoices by the agency. May 19, 2003

How to do ?

I got oversea check payment of $12 from an oversea agency which I could not collect payment because bank charge is at least $30.

How to prevent the agency from avoiding payment that violates initial agreement with a translator.

And how about payment after 6 months of invoice; though delivery of the work is ur-gent?

Soonthon L. (Ph.D.)

Bangkok

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:18
German to English
+ ...
Checks May 19, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-18 16:35, JillSch wrote:

I wonder what the standard practices are in other countries - this might be of some use for those of us with foreign clients, present and future. What information is expected on invoices in the USA/Australia/Asia etc?

[ This Message was edited byn2003-05-18 16:42]

I invoice German customers generally, so I stick with the German format, but in the US the most common form of payment is by check. Bank transfers are not common at all. In fact, it costs me $40 to send one abroad.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Invoicing again May 19, 2003

Dear Mary,

I realised that UK translators often do not put bank details on their invoice. However, most recently we received many \"invoices\" as below:

\"John Smith\"

xxx words amount xxx

That\'s all. We then have to find out when \"John Smith\" has carried out a translation and for whom, where he lives etc.

However, some of these \"invoices\" were accompanied by the demand to be paid through \"PayPal\" which, for some strange reasons, we cannot use. Perhaps you can help me here. When I opened an account with PayPal I receive the message that my credit card (Mastercard) cannot be accepted. Why not I do not understand (even my bank does not understand this). It works internationally when I buy something but not when I want to use a service such as PayPal.

Best regards,

Joachim

Rob Albon  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:18
Japanese to English
+ ...
Not childish at all... May 19, 2003

Joachim,

I am surprised to hear an agency complaining about paying translators. I have an easy solution for you--hire me and I will supply all banking information in order to get paid as quickly as possible!

Mr. Kern\'s response is rediculous. Handling of money is perhaps the most serious concern of business people. Your concern is certainly not childish. Your employees are doing you (and themselves) a disservice if they do not provide payment information.

However, it is quite possible that your employees do not understand that you need all of their banking info. You might require them to give you banking info as part of the work contract.

You might also consider opening a U.S. bank account so that you can pay by U.S. check.

Rob Albon  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:18
Japanese to English
+ ...
Japanese<>U.S. wires May 19, 2003

Mary,

You asked about Asian countries:

In Japan, the Japanese bank name, branch number, the account holder\'s name (exactly as it appears on the account) the account number and the type of account are all necessary. In JapaneseU.S. business transactions, unless you have a large U.S. bank and a large Japanese bank, the smaller banks on each side will charge the agency and the translator for wires, and the larger banks will charge, so you may have to pay several fees, adding up to a larger final fee. You should probably check with several banks to find one that does business with Japan and can tell you exactly how much they will charge you for wires. Or, you have to open a bank account on each side and transfer money yourself to avoid exorbitant fees.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Checks obsolete since the 1980's May 19, 2003

Funny chaps those Americans and English! \"Catch me if you can!\" all the same even 40 years later! I must have seen the last check here in Finland around 1984.

No use to take on small jobs from firms abroad, but within the EU transfers cost only 7 Euro or shared 3,50.

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Agreement beforehand helps everyone? May 19, 2003

I guess one lesson that comes out of Joachim\'s problem is that it\'s a good thing for everybody if both parties agee (with the minimun of unnecessary fuss, when the job is offered & accepted) mutually agreeable & reasonable method(s), procedure and timing for invoicing & payment. With a bit of understanding on all sides all should then be well?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment should follow receipt of proper invoice

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search