How does a voice recognition tool help you improve your translation speed?
Thread poster: spammer
spammer
spammer
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 27, 2003

I need information on how voice recognition tools can help you improve your translation skills.
Thank you in advance.

Valentín Hernández Lima
Valentín Hernández Lima  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:13
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Chances are May 27, 2003

You will be in better shape at the end of the day, as the repetitive stress of typing words will be significantly cut down to 5% or less.

You may have a daily gross output of around 10,000 words, something few people can accomplish by typing words.

You may have to change your translation habits altogether, as the time you save by avoiding typing everything out will have to be invested in reading and re-reading the text time and again before starting the
... See more
You will be in better shape at the end of the day, as the repetitive stress of typing words will be significantly cut down to 5% or less.

You may have a daily gross output of around 10,000 words, something few people can accomplish by typing words.

You may have to change your translation habits altogether, as the time you save by avoiding typing everything out will have to be invested in reading and re-reading the text time and again before starting the dictation. Then, later on, more time is to be invested into proofreading and double-checking on everything you dictated, as the software does not misspell any word, but misunderstands your voice on many occasions.

You may then improve your translation endlessly by using the text-to-voice function of the software and listening to what you dictated, edited and proofread.

These are just some of the most obvious results of using voice-recognition software instead of your fingers. I do not imply, however, that this can be accomplished overnight or that the initial frustrations can be avoided. If you try it, keep the faith, as you are going to become better and better as long as you practice every day and figure out how you can make it work best for you.

Godspeed!

V

[Edited at 2003-05-27 09:37]
Collapse

Bruce Popp
Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:13
French to English
A big benefit for me May 27, 2003

Hi,

A little over a month ago, I started using Dragon NaturallySpeaking Rel. 7 after a presentation and demo at a New England Translators Association Meeting.

Note that I use this for dictating English text and that (I think) their non-English versionsfor Release 7 are not available yet.

Valentin's comments about needing to proofread and correct errors as you go are important to keep in mind. This is a different kind of proofreading. Dragon does learn fro
... See more
Hi,

A little over a month ago, I started using Dragon NaturallySpeaking Rel. 7 after a presentation and demo at a New England Translators Association Meeting.

Note that I use this for dictating English text and that (I think) their non-English versionsfor Release 7 are not available yet.

Valentin's comments about needing to proofread and correct errors as you go are important to keep in mind. This is a different kind of proofreading. Dragon does learn from correction and in my experience is improving with use and careful correction. Dragon's recognition is all based on statistics concerning sounds and patterns of sounds and words. Continued use and correction of misrecognitions improves the statistics being used. There is no analysis of grammar or parts of speech.

The mechanics of dictation are different than typing: you need to say "comma" and the like to get correct punctuation and paragraphs. It is definitely beneficial to have a sentence or clause fully thought out before you say it, and to reread it right away (to verify the voice recognition and the transaltion). I expected that saying punctuation would take time to feel comfortable, but I was surprised at how little time was needed.

To help set the context let me state that I am a touch typist and type about 45 wpm.

I have found that dictation, even with careful rereading and correction of each sentence, is much faster than typing. I have one long-term, background project that I had already been working on for a few months before I started using Dragon. I have been keeping careful records of my progress so I can make an accurate comparison of my before and after work. On this project Dragon NaturallySpeaking 7 has improved my hourly rate about 70%.

This means that the cost of the software, and the time to install, train the recognition, learn and get comfortable with it, can be paid-back in under a week or two.

This is very dramatic. Of course results vary with many factors including the source text and familiarity with the source material and vocabulary; this still leaves anyone who tries Dragon 7 plenty of opportunity to be very pleased.

Bruce
Collapse

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Danish to English
+ ...
voice recognition May 27, 2003

If you are very slow on the keyboard, the voice recognition (I use Dragon Naturally Speaking 6 and now upgraded to 7) will eventually increase you speed. I agree with the 2 above answers, but if you are fast on the keyboard, the voice recognition cannot match your speed. The DNS 6 was faster with commands than 7, but 7 is better in voice recognition. And then there is your voice. YOu will have problems with colds and other throat problems, and you will have problems dictating when tired or upse... See more
If you are very slow on the keyboard, the voice recognition (I use Dragon Naturally Speaking 6 and now upgraded to 7) will eventually increase you speed. I agree with the 2 above answers, but if you are fast on the keyboard, the voice recognition cannot match your speed. The DNS 6 was faster with commands than 7, but 7 is better in voice recognition. And then there is your voice. YOu will have problems with colds and other throat problems, and you will have problems dictating when tired or upset about something as your voice will change when stressed. I use the voice recognition because of osteoarthritis in the hands and using a keyboard is very painful, so I have no choice. However, I think voice recognition still has a long way to go before user-friendly. It is a whole new language to "talk to a machine".Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 18:13
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Re: How does a voice recognition tool help you improve your translation speed? May 27, 2003

Maria Merlo wrote:

I need information on how voice recognition tools can help you improve your translation skills.
Thank you in advance.

I don't know about skills, but about speed: In my experience- I usually dictate contracts and like- about 4 times faster. I have to note two things though- first- I type with one finger, though at monkey speed, so probably if you type normally, the gain will be less, the second – allocate about 1/4 of the time you're dictating to proofreading yourself at the end. And, to my experience, the greatest enemies are not cough, sudden stammering or like, but various “khm” sounds, like someone closing a door - as Recognition invariably substitutes these sounds, promptly writing “the” or some other article in places where someone entered the room or you hiccupped

Practically on emergencies I have reached output 4 pages (1000 words) per hour.
OTOH, I’m not a professional translator myself; I have more an organizing position, therefore, please, view this only as recounting of my experience, not as very mathematicaly based advice.

BTW, I use voice recognition engine, inbuilt in Office XP.

Larisa Migachyov
Larisa Migachyov
United States
Russian to English
It slowed me down, but that's just me Jun 17, 2003

I used NaturallySpeaking for a while when I had tendonitis in my hands. I didn't like it at all. My voice got tired (I was hoarse after 2 days), I had to correct it all the time, and it was slower than typing (I type 90WPM). Also, I found that my writing style got worse; I could not get used to having to think out each sentence before saying it. When I type, I think with my fingers, and clear writing comes a lot more naturally.

But still, despite all the difficulties, I'm gratef
... See more
I used NaturallySpeaking for a while when I had tendonitis in my hands. I didn't like it at all. My voice got tired (I was hoarse after 2 days), I had to correct it all the time, and it was slower than typing (I type 90WPM). Also, I found that my writing style got worse; I could not get used to having to think out each sentence before saying it. When I type, I think with my fingers, and clear writing comes a lot more naturally.

But still, despite all the difficulties, I'm grateful; it saved my hands.
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Don't you have to train the tool Jun 20, 2003

I spent a day trying to train the tools (L&H voice express and Dragon Dictate).
It takes time to assimilate how they work.
You have to spent days reading the entire thesaurus of a language before these programs recognize words or is there a way to introduce these from a file containing this thesaurus.

Mohit Sehdev
Mohit Sehdev
United States
Local time: 11:13
German to English
+ ...
What about technical vocabulary entries? Jun 22, 2003

Hi,
thanks for all the valuable information concerning "Dragon Speech", but could you just enlighten me more about the dictionary (or vocabulary entries)aspect of the "Dragon Speech". Is it helpful only with the general texts, or can one handle technical texts with ease as well? I am asking this, because I believe that certain versions of "Dragon Speech" have limited vocabulary entries, as it comes in more than one version. Which version according to you is the best?

Mohit
... See more
Hi,
thanks for all the valuable information concerning "Dragon Speech", but could you just enlighten me more about the dictionary (or vocabulary entries)aspect of the "Dragon Speech". Is it helpful only with the general texts, or can one handle technical texts with ease as well? I am asking this, because I believe that certain versions of "Dragon Speech" have limited vocabulary entries, as it comes in more than one version. Which version according to you is the best?

Mohit

[Edited at 2003-06-24 12:27]
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Input-Output Jun 25, 2003

The program only reproduces a certain basic register and what you have put into it (technical vocabulary). You need at least 14 days to three weeks to train it before it becomes and effective tool.

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
How well do they work with Trados? Jun 28, 2003

Does anyone use voice recognition with a CAT tool, or more specifically Trados? I'm looking to invest in some voice recognition software and would like to know how well they work with Trados. Dragon sounds good, and not too pricey, if I was looking at the correct section of the website I found.

All best,
Amy

Klaus Lauble
Klaus Lauble  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:13
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Performance of Dragon + Trados is ok, but some problems exist Jul 3, 2003

Hi Amy (and everybody),

Recently, I started using Dragon NS Professional XP together with Trados 6 Freelance and Word 2000 (I have worked with the same Dragon version and Trados 3 Freelance + Word 97 for awhile already) and the results are not bad at all. (You can create macros with the most important Trados commands in Dragon, e.g. so that you can just say "next segment" in order to save the current segment and open the next.) What is especially annoying, though, is that Dragon alw
... See more
Hi Amy (and everybody),

Recently, I started using Dragon NS Professional XP together with Trados 6 Freelance and Word 2000 (I have worked with the same Dragon version and Trados 3 Freelance + Word 97 for awhile already) and the results are not bad at all. (You can create macros with the most important Trados commands in Dragon, e.g. so that you can just say "next segment" in order to save the current segment and open the next.) What is especially annoying, though, is that Dragon always starts new segments with a lowercase letter. Does anybody know a remedy for this?
(I am dictating in German almost exclusively, so maybe it's a bug of the German version only?)

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Cheers,

Klaus

Amy Williams wrote:

Does anyone use voice recognition with a CAT tool, or more specifically Trados? I'm looking to invest in some voice recognition software and would like to know how well they work with Trados. Dragon sounds good, and not too pricey, if I was looking at the correct section of the website I found.

All best,
Amy
Collapse

Claudia Dvorak
Claudia Dvorak  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:13
English to German
+ ...
Dragon Naturally Speaking 8 Oct 31, 2005

I have Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred 8 installed. (US)

I want to help a Professor here in Pensacola who has microcassette tapes in GERMAN. I also have a Panasonic microcassette transcriber RR930. Is there a way to plug the transcriber into my PC and let Dragon transcribe it? If there is, where would I find a cable to plug the transcriber into the PC?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How does a voice recognition tool help you improve your translation speed?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »