Bidders must live in a certain country and E.U.-regulations.
Thread poster: williamson (X)
williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Local time: 11:41
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jan 21, 2002

Whenever I look at an offer with \'Bidders must live in a particular country XYZ and this country XYZ is a member of the E.U., I wonder what happened to the competition principle set forth by the E.U.whereby every E.U.-company must be able to compete for tenders. Does this also apply to qualified freelance professionals?

If so, isn\'t this falsification of the competition and isn\'t that contrary to E.U.-regulations?

Fernando Galv�n (X)
Fernando Galv�n (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree but... Jan 21, 2002

isn\'t it more, say, convenient that you live in your home country when you translate into your mother tongue? (Of course, I never stop translating every time I go abroad)

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 05:41
German to English
+ ...
I would think so Jan 21, 2002

The EU is still far from perfect. While they have drafted a whole bunch of nice ideas and put them on paper, reality speaks a different language. Many businesses still have problems understanding the fact that they are no longer dealing with separate countries, but with one \"supercountry\". Of course, they all have their individual problems and peculiarities, but in general it is one huge market, and as such, companies (and freelance translators!) should not be denied access to business opportu... See more
The EU is still far from perfect. While they have drafted a whole bunch of nice ideas and put them on paper, reality speaks a different language. Many businesses still have problems understanding the fact that they are no longer dealing with separate countries, but with one \"supercountry\". Of course, they all have their individual problems and peculiarities, but in general it is one huge market, and as such, companies (and freelance translators!) should not be denied access to business opportunities. After all, people are free to move from one member state to another without going through immigration and filling out truckloads of paperwork.

If you ask me, these outsourcers should be required to put \"must live in the EU\" instead.
Collapse

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Agree Jan 22, 2002

Dear villivere,

Yes, I agree and suggest that you use the \"Suport Request\" link to encourage Henry and Jason to squash this and all other ilegal requests.

Sven.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-22 04:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-22 05:24 ]

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One Union Jan 22, 2002

Answer to Franscisco Galvan :

You pay with the same currency as I do. The Union streches from the North-Pole to Gibraltar (N-->S) and by 2004 from the Coasts of Ireland to the Russian border (with a Russian enclave within its territory).Within that territory, you are free to live where you like. Prices of airline tickets are so low these days that you can easily go from Madrid to Helsinki for little money.

English/French are not the na
... See more
Answer to Franscisco Galvan :

You pay with the same currency as I do. The Union streches from the North-Pole to Gibraltar (N-->S) and by 2004 from the Coasts of Ireland to the Russian border (with a Russian enclave within its territory).Within that territory, you are free to live where you like. Prices of airline tickets are so low these days that you can easily go from Madrid to Helsinki for little money.

English/French are not the native languages of Spain and going to the country of your working languages means extra exercise in your source-languages. Free movement of people means an increased communication need which entails more work for translators/interpreters and language training institutes.

Moreover, it can be an advantage to learn another, much sought-after or less common language such as Finnish.

For you \"home\" is Spain, for me it is Europe.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bidders must live in a certain country and E.U.-regulations.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »