Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 9, 2003

Hola everyone,

This one is for fellow translators based in the US. I would like to double check my invoicing practices have been sound so far:

1. I always include my S.S. info when I invoice agencies in the U.S., regardless of the amount. Correct so far?

2. As far as direct clients, I am assuming whether or not to add the S.S. info will depend on amount of the invoice, i.e., no need for jobs under US$600. Is this accurate?

3. I would like to re
... See more
Hola everyone,

This one is for fellow translators based in the US. I would like to double check my invoicing practices have been sound so far:

1. I always include my S.S. info when I invoice agencies in the U.S., regardless of the amount. Correct so far?

2. As far as direct clients, I am assuming whether or not to add the S.S. info will depend on amount of the invoice, i.e., no need for jobs under US$600. Is this accurate?

3. I would like to read about your practices when invoicing agencies and clients not based in the U.S., i.e. is there any additional info that should go in the invoice? Is the S.S. number relevant in that case?

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Happy Monday,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator, EUTI
[email protected]
www.accentonspanish.com

[Edited at 2003-10-31 21:58]
Collapse

Maria-Jose Pastor
Maria-Jose Pastor
Local time: 16:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Invoicing Jun 10, 2003

I always include the following:

1) Job number

2) Terms (net 30 - agencies, 15 direct clients)

3) Due date

4) Detailed description of services rendered

5) Word count

6) Word rate

7) Total due

8) SSN

I use QuickbooksPro for invoicing / estimates and tracking income/expenses. It's easy to use and a life saver come April 15th.

Hope this has helped.

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is that everyone else's practice? Jun 11, 2003

MJPastor wrote:

I always include the following:

8) SSN

I use QuickbooksPro for invoicing / estimates and tracking income/expenses. It's easy to use and a life saver come April 15th.

Hope this has helped.

Am I to understand you include your S.S. number on all invoices, no matter the amount, or whether you're invoicing an agency or a direct client, or whether the client is based outside of the U.S.?

Is that everyone else's practice? Is this not the big deal I am making it to be

Cheers,

S.G.

[Edited at 2003-10-31 21:58]

Nina Engberg
Nina Engberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:29
English to Swedish
+ ...
If they need your SSN, they'll ask you to fill out a W-9. Jun 11, 2003

Am I to understand you include your S.S. number on all invoices, no matter the amount, or whether you're invoicing an agency or a direct client, or whether the client is based outside of the U.S.?

----
Susana,
They don't need your SSN unless you make more than $600, and
... See more

----
Susana,
They don't need your SSN unless you make more than $600, and if they need it, they will send you a W-9 (http://www.chasemellon.com/downloads/w9.pdf).

You can also get a tax id number,(http://www.nationalbusiness.org/NBAWEB/General/How_To_EINumber.htm)even as a sole proprietor without employees. That way you don't have to give people your personal SSN.

As far as foreign companies, I usually am not asked for my EIN. If they ask for VAT number, I give them my EIN.

[Edited at 2003-06-11 03:39]
Collapse

Maria-Jose Pastor
Maria-Jose Pastor
Local time: 16:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
SSN included Jun 12, 2003

Even when I have been asked to fill out a W-9, yes I always add my SSN on the invoice in the memo section regardless of the amount, direct client or agency.

later it is up to the individual's discretion as to what he/she declares and what not.

I have not had the pleasure of dealing with foreign clients, so I have not had to face that issue.

My suggestion would be to talk to a tax accountant as to what to do. After all, one doesn't want to get audited an
... See more
Even when I have been asked to fill out a W-9, yes I always add my SSN on the invoice in the memo section regardless of the amount, direct client or agency.

later it is up to the individual's discretion as to what he/she declares and what not.

I have not had the pleasure of dealing with foreign clients, so I have not had to face that issue.

My suggestion would be to talk to a tax accountant as to what to do. After all, one doesn't want to get audited and then pay the consequences... don't want ot be dealing with Tmen!
Collapse

T_Herrmann (X)
T_Herrmann (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:29
German to English
+ ...
NO WAY! Jul 26, 2003

The last time I included my SSN on an invoice it resulted in two credit card applications made in my name by someone.
Fortunately I use a credit monitoring service.

Legally you are only required to provide your SSN once, that is if you are presented a W-9 or similar looking form. I really wouldn't put it on an invoice. SSA explicitly advices against such use of your SSN. Plenty
... See more
The last time I included my SSN on an invoice it resulted in two credit card applications made in my name by someone.
Fortunately I use a credit monitoring service.

Legally you are only required to provide your SSN once, that is if you are presented a W-9 or similar looking form. I really wouldn't put it on an invoice. SSA explicitly advices against such use of your SSN. Plenty of information at www.ssa.gov

Letters get lost, invoices may go through many hands etc. If they need it their admin can pull it from the W-9 you technically should be asked for on your first assignement.

That's just my 2 cents

MJPastor wrote:

My suggestion would be to talk to a tax accountant as to what to do. After all, one doesn't want to get audited and then pay the consequences... don't want ot be dealing with Tmen!

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question about invoicing practices for translators based in the US

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »