How to get clients?
Thread poster: Cao Mac
Cao Mac
Local time: 03:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 25, 2003

Hi, I know most of you are freelancers but I need some advices. Some time ago I decided to start my own translation agency. I thought it would not be difficult since I am myself a translator and I could always count on peofessionals like you to help me take care of the work. But four months have passed and I don't have a single client. No even one. A couple here and there have contacted me cuz the found my website on the internet, but four some reason they never contact me again. What am I doing worng? I know about translation but not about business. Is there anyone that has a brilliant idea? I have tried spamming companies but I don't think people appreciate that. How could I get to clients? How can I keep them? Thanks a lot.

Direct link Reply with quote

Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:00
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Presentation Jun 26, 2003

Hi, Cao Mac,

I am not ideally placed to give you tips on how to obtain clients, since, being a translator rather than an agency, a lot of my "clients" are agencies rather than "end user" clients.

Obviously, however, you need to ensure that you are marketing to the right people and, perhaps more importantly, that anything prepared by you (including your website) is of the highest possible standard in terms of presentation and language. If this is not the case, then why should a potential client even consider using your services when there are so many other agencies in the market?

Without wishing to be harsh, if you reread your message, you will see that there are a number of spelling mistakes in it. Whilst I appreciate that you probably prepared the message in a hurry, these spelling mistakes did not create a good impression on me, and I feel certain that potential clients might feel the same if they were to read it.

As far as your website is concerned, I have only taken a brief look at that, and it certainly seems quite professionally prepared in terms of presentation. However, in the parts that I looked at, there were at least a couple of grammatical errors, and I'd be happy to point these out to you if you drop me a private message.

So, perhaps my main message to you would be to ensure the quality of any of the advertising that you do. Read it, read it again, have another professional read it again and so on until you are confident that it is of the highest possible quality. If your advertising and marketing is sub-standard, you are unlikely to have clients queuing up to use your services.

I hope that this is of some assistance to you. Just keep trying - there are a lot of people out there and it's a hard market, but I'm confident that, if you bear the above in mind and have good translators working for you, your first client may not be too far away.

All the best.

Cao Mac wrote:

Hi, I know most of you are freelancers but I need some advices. Some time ago I decided to start my own translation agency. I thought it would not be difficult since I am myself a translator and I could always count on peofessionals like you to help me take care of the work. But four months have passed and I don't have a single client. No even one. A couple here and there have contacted me cuz the found my website on the internet, but four some reason they never contact me again. What am I doing worng? I know about translation but not about business. Is there anyone that has a brilliant idea? I have tried spamming companies but I don't think people appreciate that. How could I get to clients? How can I keep them? Thanks a lot.

[Edited at 2003-06-26 21:39]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get clients?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search