Charging express translations that result from meetings
Thread poster: Atenea Acevedo
Atenea Acevedo  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 21, 2003

Hi, everyone,

Have you ever been asked to attend an international meeting and translate documents that stem out of the discussions (i.e., not working papers, but conclusions & recommendations)? This means you might sit around all day or work like a nut (there's of course an added element of stress), so a daily rate is usually advised, but I was wondering, how do you come up with that estimate? Do you charge what your normal daily output is (e.g., 2,500-3,000 words) plus a certain percentage due to the stress? Any advice?

Thanks!

Atenea

Direct link Reply with quote

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:33
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I charge a flat fee Jul 21, 2003

Hi Atenea,

I charge a flat fee of USD 30/hour whether there is work or not. At times I have to work like crazy and really earn my money and at other times, there are lax periods where I recuperate and gather strength.

I hope that helps! Lucinda

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:33
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
International congress rates Jul 21, 2003

are based on a 6-7 hour working day with 1-2 hours in attendance (8 hours including fatigue breaks). Organizers calculate per-translator output at 3,000 words.

Overtime is paid at an additional 50%.

[Edited at 2003-07-21 17:41]

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Interpreter Rates Jul 22, 2003

I have done this; I merely charge the same rates as for simultaneous interpreting. Usually you will be doing both. If they give you a little more time; for instance you can go home and do it, then just charge your per word rate.

Atenea Acevedo  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So, this is what I worked out... Jul 23, 2003

Thank you for your input! I know for sure I won't be doing any interpreting (they've hired interpreters for each language pair and are looking for translators as well), so based on your opinions/experience I came up with a flat daily rate, considering a maximum of 6 hours and an average of 3,000 words. It turned out to be exactly my interpreting rate!

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Atenea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charging express translations that result from meetings

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search