References from agencies
Thread poster: yasmine
yasmine
English to French
Aug 7, 2003

Is it common practice for agencies to provide "references" about their freelance translators, i.e. number of words translated over a period of time and possible comment on quaity ? I'm asking this because I have only worked for agencies so far, an a potential new client requests this kind of reference.

Direct link Reply with quote

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 08:56
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I asked an agency for this type of reference once Aug 7, 2003

When I was just starting out as a translator I had to provide a reference just like this to be allowed to sit my translation exam to get my "official" qualification. I asked the boss of one of the agencies I was working for and they were quite happy to oblige. I can't guarantee that all agencies will cooperate, but it's certainly worth a try.

HTH

Alison

Céline Graciet
Local time: 07:56
English to French
Why not? Aug 7, 2003

Hi, when I had a quiet couple of months last year I used that time to contact a couple of agencies I've been working with asking them for a reference. I made sure to ask a PM who I had done a lot of work with and they were very happy to oblige. Those references have actually been quite handy since, I think they're quite useful to have. If you have a good working relationship with your agencies/PMs, I don't see why it should be a problem.

Have a lovely day/night/whatever all!

Céline

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:26
English to Tamil
+ ...
This is how I landed a job Aug 7, 2003

It was in the year 1981. I had a very short notice for an interview to fill up the post of a technical translator (French) in New Delhi, India. I was in Madras at that time. One of my agencies was in Hyderabad and another was in New Delhi. They used to send work by snailmail. I just wrote to those people the address in Delhi, where I was going to stay and requested them for references. Then I proceeded to Delhi and was pleased to note that the said references were waiting there for me. I attended the interview and was selected. These references played a big role in this matter.

xxxtazdog
Spain
Local time: 08:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
I've had references from agencies Aug 7, 2003

I, too, needed to provide references (I believe it was on the paperwork for UNESCO, after I passed their exam), and most of my clients were agencies. I contacted the ones I had been working with the longest, and they were very happy to oblige. I would think that asking agencies for references shouldn't be a problem, as long as you are not asking for a reference to provide to a competitor of theirs (i.e., another agency in the same local market). That might not go over very well.

yasmine
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 7, 2003

Thank you all for sharing your experience - very helpful. I'll just go ahead and ask !

(This was my first posting here, I'm soooo impressed with how fast the answers came. Thanks again, all of you.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

References from agencies

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search