What should I put in my website?
Thread poster: Louise Souter (X)

Louise Souter (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 6, 2009

I am creating my website and I need advice regarding what information I should put on it. Obviously I need to add information about my services and my contact details but other than that I do not have any ideas.

Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:08
Member (2006)
English to French
some ideas Aug 6, 2009

Hi Louise,

Some ideas (based on my own experience):
- your education/diplomas
- how you work (tools, etc)
- rates
- fields of expertise/kinds of clients/samples of work
- interesting links (e.g. fellow translators, online dictionaries)

Anyway you don't necessarily have to put very much information. I think that concise and essential information is better than too much, less useful, information.

My 2 cents
Stéphanie

Didier Caizergues
English to French
+ ...
Stick to the essential... Aug 6, 2009

... I think. You must indeed mention your contact details, your language pairs, your current location (home and/or offices). In short, you must be easily reached and your potential customers must be able to tell from a few Web pages what you do, your fields of expertise, your rates if need be (some translators don't communicate on the subject; to each his/her own... I do advertise my rates), but also your background, your translation studies if you've got something to mention there, etc... Of course, it also depends on who's your target: are you going to advertise mostly in the UK, and to British customers, or are you going to go international? If the latter, one or more Web pages in your target language(s) would be appreciated, if only to prove how well you master said languages...

If it's any help, here's my website: http://dctraductions.com

For what it's worth...icon_wink.gif

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't be too short Aug 6, 2009

If your objective in creating a website is to be found by potential clients then you need to be well rated by Google and the other search engines. By being well rated your website will be near the top of the page for any search that is made using keywords that are relevant to your website. If you are not well rated, then your website may appear on page 3 (or worse) of a search - meaning that nobody will ever find you.

There are two main methods of gaining favour from Google and friends:

1. Being linked by other websites in a similar field

2. Publishing lots of relevant information.

The first route takes time and humility, the second route requires imagination and research.

[Edited at 2009-08-06 17:34 GMT]

Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:08
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Just a peace of advice Aug 6, 2009

Do not print your email address there, add a link - those who really will be interested can click on it and send you an email. I put my email address on my website and I almost drowned in spam. The only good think was that the email address I put down there was not my main one, I just get all the mail redirected and now it automatically goes into my spam box with very few exceptions.

Ines

Didier Caizergues
English to French
+ ...
"Oh, one more thing..." Aug 7, 2009

Keep your wording as positive as possible if you're going to deal with French people: though I'd have trouble explaining it, the French react strongly and negatively to negations in what they read or hear. Call il power of suggestion if you will, but it's true; if you're trying to convince someone to work with you, keep your words, written or oral, as positive as possible.

Take this post, for example: do you read any negative sentences...?icon_wink.gif

You may think it's irrelevant, but I assure it works on a subconcious level: when you're having a conversation with someone who routinely deals in negative sentences, you get a negative opinion of this person and/or what he/she is telling you. It could influence you negatively when comes the time to do business with this person...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What should I put in my website?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search