https://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/14287-would_you_take_stock_options_instead_of_money.html

Would you take stock options instead of money?
Thread poster: Veronica Durbaca
Veronica Durbaca
Veronica Durbaca  Identity Verified

English to Romanian
+ ...
Sep 19, 2003

I was offered payment in stock options by an American private company. I'm thinking about accepting the job, because it's not a big translation and their business looks promising. What would you do?

María Alejandra Funes
María Alejandra Funes
Local time: 12:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
It depends Sep 19, 2003

Personally I would not accept it, but it depends on your needs and your "business vision".

This is not a very useful answer, I know, but it is my humble opinion

Good luck!

ALE

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:42
English to German
+ ...
Can you assess the worth of these options? Sep 19, 2003

Hi Veronica,
I find your posting interesting because we were discussing this job (and in particular the embedded proposition for payment) among moderators. We decided to vet it because the proposal was stated very clearly.

To answer your question, however, is more complex. To compare the value of these options (particularly as an alternative to cash), you would need to assess a multitude of factors, including (but not limited to):

- the company's current and futur
... See more
Hi Veronica,
I find your posting interesting because we were discussing this job (and in particular the embedded proposition for payment) among moderators. We decided to vet it because the proposal was stated very clearly.

To answer your question, however, is more complex. To compare the value of these options (particularly as an alternative to cash), you would need to assess a multitude of factors, including (but not limited to):

- the company's current and future financial situation;
- their projected business development;
- risk factors which might result in a deterioration of business, and even in bankruptcy;
- the expected share price development, based on these forecasts, over the period of time for which you envisage holding the options;
- the conditions set out for the option right (exercise period, exercise price, any restrictions to exercise); and
- the transferability of the option right as well as of the shares resulting from exercise (assuming that at some point you would want to sell either of them).

Option-based payment is more attractive if the theoretical value of the options is higher than the cash alternative. If it isn't (or if you're unable to calculate that theoretical value), you're taking a gamble on the company. That's fine, but you should separate that decision from the translation job involved.

Note that I'm not saying that you should or should not do it - what I'm trying to get across is that the question itself is a complex one.

Hope that helps a bit - best regards, Ralf

[Edited at 2003-09-19 16:02]
Collapse

Veronica Durbaca
Veronica Durbaca  Identity Verified

English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, María and Ralph Sep 19, 2003

The reason I didn't separate this quasi-payment from the job involved was that I wouldn't take up a big or extremely difficult translation job if the payment were uncertain. In this case, it is supposed to be a 3 or 4 days job, which I can afford to waste, in the event of my "stock sense" failure...

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
One stock equals a high risk Sep 19, 2003

When trading with stocks, one rule is to spread the risk. One thing is normally certain: Most likely you will loose money buying stocks only from one company.

And buy the way: If the company is promising I am sure they have enough money to pay a translator for a couple of days worth...?

I would have said no.

Paul VALET (X)
Paul VALET (X)  Identity Verified
France
Beware of the costs on the stock market Sep 23, 2003

Don't forget that you would have to pay a price to sell your stocks or exercize your rights on the options.
For a small amount of money, that price could be relatively high.

SCosta
SCosta  Identity Verified
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
You don't know what you get... Sep 26, 2003

I wouldn´t accept such payment for one reason: I am not a stock broker. I don't have information about the company and/or the stock market.
Such market is quite complex, the "outsiders" usually loose money.
Without information and knowledge such payment is a bet. You might not loose, you might not earn...
Such proposal is like make you betting on your payment. You render a service and you don't know the exact price for it because it depends on external factors.
and why
... See more
I wouldn´t accept such payment for one reason: I am not a stock broker. I don't have information about the company and/or the stock market.
Such market is quite complex, the "outsiders" usually loose money.
Without information and knowledge such payment is a bet. You might not loose, you might not earn...
Such proposal is like make you betting on your payment. You render a service and you don't know the exact price for it because it depends on external factors.
and why do they make such proposal?? I find it strange...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Would you take stock options instead of money?

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »