Lucimara Mello
Lucimara Mello  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:42
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 30, 2003

Hi!

I have been contacted by a few agencies from Euronpe, and, according to their application forms, I need a VAT number for tax purposes.

Does anyone know how I can get such number?

Thanks!

Lucimara Mello
English>Portuguese Translator
[email protected]
USA

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:42
Flemish to English
+ ...
No need for VAT-number Oct 30, 2003

Given that you live in the US, you do not need a VAT-number. In the US, it does not exist. You export your services towards Europe. It is the importer that has to calculate VAT to its end-customer.

[Edited at 2003-10-30 07:41]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:42
English to German
+ ...
Check this ... Oct 30, 2003

...thread in the Money Matters forum.

HTH, Ralf

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
VAT - Double taxation agreement Nov 6, 2003

Hi!

Most countries have amongst themselves a double taxation agreement, where the VAT aspect is returned to the agency at the physically at the Cross-Bank-Tradezones at the border. Then remains the income without VAT, is to be levied by the local tax authorities, these regulations vary from country to country. The situation would be different, if you are living in France and work for Frenchagency, here it is important to have VAT and also charge VAT, whereas at cross borders, the in
... See more
Hi!

Most countries have amongst themselves a double taxation agreement, where the VAT aspect is returned to the agency at the physically at the Cross-Bank-Tradezones at the border. Then remains the income without VAT, is to be levied by the local tax authorities, these regulations vary from country to country. The situation would be different, if you are living in France and work for Frenchagency, here it is important to have VAT and also charge VAT, whereas at cross borders, the invoice could be VAT-free, due to DTA (Double Taxation Agreement.

hope this helps,
Bandi

Lucimara Mello wrote:

Hi!

I have been contacted by a few agencies from Euronpe, and, according to their application forms, I need a VAT number for tax purposes.

Does anyone know how I can get such number?

Thanks!

Lucimara Mello
English>Portuguese Translator
[email protected]
USA
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Careful regarding tax "advice" Nov 6, 2003

Hi Bandi,
Most countries have amongst themselves a double taxation agreement, where the VAT aspect is returned to the agency at the physically at the Cross-Bank-Tradezones at the border. Then remains the income without VAT, is to be levied by the local tax authorities, these regulations vary from country to country. The situation would be different, if you are living in France and work for Frenchagency, here it is important to have VAT and also charge VAT, whereas at cross borders, the invoice could be VAT-free, due to DTA (Double Taxation Agreement.

Sorry, but intra-EU VAT rules are not governed by bilateral double-taxation agreements, but are part of European legislation and, in effect, multilateral arrangements.

You may want to take a look at these threads:
www.proz.com/topic/15041
www.proz.com/topic/13413

With all due respect, I suggest to do some careful research before posting what could be taken as tax advice by other users.

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT number

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »