Adriana Esposito  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:55
Member (2014)
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 5, 2003

Hi everybody there!
I'm writing this on behalf of an Italian young lady who cannot use Internet right now.
These days she is starting her classes at Trieste University and has to pick up the foreign languages (3) she'll work with. Her first choice - it goes without saying - is English but she's not sure about the other two. She would like to pick up Spanish as second language and Protuguese as third, but she's not sure she can go far with these ones. I don't have any experience with these languages to give her any kind of feedback about the volume of work one can possibly get with them - both as an interpretor and as a translator. Plus, somebody there told her that if she doesn't pick up French as second language she'll never have any chance to work with the Community (and she doesn't like French very much). Is this true? Is there a good market in Italy for Spanish and Portuguese?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Many thanks to you all!
adriana

Direct link Reply with quote

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The market goes for majority languages Nov 5, 2003

(i.e., high percentage of speakers), the Community not quite. In majority languages, the Community sees a lot of competition. However, by the time she graduates, Community demands will be struggling to cope with the official languages of the new members, many of which do not attract language learners, and in which it is rather normal to have natives of the other side working both ways (precisely because learners of those languages are rare). I don't see why a personal criterion wouldn't be as effective as an external one under these circumstances... I'd personally opt for whatever language attracts me, and specialize.

Adriana Esposito  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2014)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 6, 2003

Parrot wrote:

(i.e., high percentage of speakers), the Community not quite. In majority languages, the Community sees a lot of competition. However, by the time she graduates, Community demands will be struggling to cope with the official languages of the new members, many of which do not attract language learners, and in which it is rather normal to have natives of the other side working both ways (precisely because learners of those languages are rare). I don't see why a personal criterion wouldn't be as effective as an external one under these circumstances... I'd personally opt for whatever language attracts me, and specialize.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I thought exactly the same!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help needed for picking up foreing languages at University

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search