Thread poster: Louise Souter (X)
Louise Souter (X)
Louise Souter (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 11, 2010

I have been offered a contract as a freelance translator which contains the following clause:

"Translations that are assessed as being of poor quality and that need a thorough proofreading will not be paid."

My question is, what is to stop the agency from claiming my translation is of poor quality, refusing to pay me and then using my work anyway?

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:38
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Common sense, hopefully Feb 11, 2010

I'm not defending this contract clause, but just as freelancers like regular clients, agencies also like to rely on regular translators. They can only refuse to pay once, then they will have to look for another translator, which takes time and effort. So as long as they are an established agency, and you can be sure of the quality you provide, the risk should be low. If your first project is large, you might want to ask them to evaluate a small part of your work right at the beginning, to be on ... See more
I'm not defending this contract clause, but just as freelancers like regular clients, agencies also like to rely on regular translators. They can only refuse to pay once, then they will have to look for another translator, which takes time and effort. So as long as they are an established agency, and you can be sure of the quality you provide, the risk should be low. If your first project is large, you might want to ask them to evaluate a small part of your work right at the beginning, to be on the safe side.Collapse

Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:38
Portuguese to English
It's a tightrope Feb 11, 2010

I've never experienced this situation as such, but I know it's an increasingly present "get-out" clause.

I had a job turned down without payment for "poor general quality" once, and after some digging, found that my judge wasn't even a native speaker of the target language.

I got to see the re-translation that he had done by another translator (also non-native), and spent 15 minutes laughing uncontrollably and 15 correcting his basic errors.

Basically, unl
... See more
I've never experienced this situation as such, but I know it's an increasingly present "get-out" clause.

I had a job turned down without payment for "poor general quality" once, and after some digging, found that my judge wasn't even a native speaker of the target language.

I got to see the re-translation that he had done by another translator (also non-native), and spent 15 minutes laughing uncontrollably and 15 correcting his basic errors.

Basically, unless you insist on knowing that a qualified, native-standard user of the language will be assessing/proof-reading your work, you're at their mercy and thus in the firing line.

The suggestion of having a small section assessed is a good one.

Good luck!
Collapse

Louise Souter (X)
Louise Souter (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not well established Feb 11, 2010

They are a new agency, which is part of the reason I'm worried.

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:
So as long as they are an established agency, and you can be sure of the quality you provide, the risk should be low.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Contract clause

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »