Deena Moghrabi  Identity Verified
Jordan
Local time: 16:38
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Dec 1, 2003

Hi all,

I've bidded for two jobs that seemed different to me. One of them was posted on Proz.Com and the other on another similar site. I recieved a good offer for the first one and translated a sample text, but today I recieved the same sample as a test, with a much much lower rate. should I do anyhting about this .. send the same translation I sent to the first outsourcer or ignore them for their low rate (which i would have accepted if the case was different).

what would you do ??

Thanks !

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:38
German to English
+ ...
Ignore them Dec 1, 2003

You want to support the outsuorcer who pays more, don't you?

Marc

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 09:38
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Agree with Marc Dec 1, 2003

You want outsourcers to pay more, so support those who do so.
Why would you take less money for the exact same job ? It's a message to all cheapies out there....
N

Deena Moghrabi  Identity Verified
Jordan
Local time: 16:38
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did not know it was the same job until I recieved the sample.. Dec 1, 2003

NancyLynn wrote:

You want outsourcers to pay more, so support those who do so.
Why would you take less money for the exact same job ? It's a message to all cheapies out there....
N

[Edited at 2003-12-01 16:14]

Russell Gillis  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:38
Spanish to English
Don't settle for less, but try to maximize your chances for success Dec 1, 2003

Hello,

I had a similar situation where an agency asked me for a quote, and then was approached by the client (who found my name through the association list) for the same translation. In this case it was up to me to give the quote. So I quoted the same price to the agency and the client.

As a result, I was guaranteed the job regardless of the client\'s final choice.

In this case, you don\'t want to sell yourself for less, but you also want to maximize your chances of winning the job. It is in your best interests to have both agencies quote with you as the translator.

Go back to the cheap agency, and counter with the same price that the other agency offered you, mentioning that this is the rate you would receive from other agencies. If they won\'t budge on price, then at least you tried.

I guess the final question is just how badly you want the job. If the cheap agency is still offering you a price that is in your range of acceptability, you might want to accept it (the operative word being IF).

Best of luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Same job from different outsourcers

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search