Word rates for translation and proofreading
Thread poster: ollenka
ollenka
Local time: 23:08
Polish to English
+ ...
Dec 11, 2003

Hello everyone,
What is the decent word rate for translation service and what is the word rate for a proofreading? The rates should be in USD!!!
Thank you for your help!!!
Ola

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:08
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Rather calculate your own fair rate Dec 12, 2003

What is the decent word rate for translation service and what is the word rate for a proofreading?

I'm not sure if we're allowed to talk about specific rates in these forums, but my advice would be "calculate your own rate".

There are two ways of calculating your rate:

1. If you do more local than international jobs, find out what other professionals in your area ask per hour. Ask a mechanic, an electrician, etc. Make your rate similar and then determine how many words you can translate in an hour. That's a good starting point.

2. If you do more international than local jobs, start by calculating your expenses plus the salary you'd like to earn, and convert that into an hourly rate. Then determine how many words you can translate in an hour, and you'll have your rate.

The South African Translators' Institute determined that on broad average editing is charged at 2/3 the translation rate, and that proofreading is charged at 1/3 the translation rate. I hope this helps.

My rates are mentioned on my web site, by the way, and although many translators do not mention rates on their web sites, some do and that may be a helpful starting point.

davidgreen
German to English
rates vary by country Dec 12, 2003

in the US I rarely accepted less than $.10/word. Technical translation was from 12 - 15 cents per word and when I got the jobs on my own (not through translation agencies) I charged as much as 20-25 cents/word.

ollenka
Local time: 23:08
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 12, 2003

Thank you for your help! I appreciate that a lot. Ola

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word rates for translation and proofreading

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search