translation agency requirements in california
Thread poster: kev1365
Apr 30, 2010

I have been working as a freelancer and now I want to start my own agency offering translation services in many languages.
There is one thing that I am confused about, the stamp or raised seal that translation companies put on their certified translations.
What licenses or permits do i need to get from the state of California to allow me to offer certified translations and to allow me to use that stamp?
Can I get a fictitious business name (doing business as) and buy the round seal and the stamp from a stamp-making company and start operating?
or I need some kind of permit/license from the state to be able to offer certified translations as a translation agency?
When you hire a freelancer who is not court certified and the translation agency puts their stamp on the document saying "we know this translator, he is fluent, blah blah". Is the translation certified now?
again, the question is, what gives the translation agency the right to use that stamp and certify translations?

Thank you so much, the reason I am concerned is I dont want to do anything illegal and get in trouble (you know, the practicing without a license trouble)

thank you so much for any info

[Edited at 2010-04-30 03:12 GMT]


Tina Vonhof
Local time: 21:53
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Consult a lawyer May 1, 2010

I see that no one has offered any help with this question. I am not familiar with the situation in California but I can give a few suggestions based on my experience in Canada. Here it is the national translators' organization that is in charge of certification and issuing stamps.

Therefore, as a first step I think you should become a member of ATA. This gives you credibility and they may also be able to provide you with information.

You may also need to consult a lawyer or the Dept. of Justice in California to find out about the requirements in your state, whether you need to be incorporated, how to become certified, and what you need in order to be able to certify translations done by others. You will most likely need to get liability insurance. You cannot just buy a stamp and start operating.


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation agency requirements in california

Advanced search

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search