Target per hour and per word
Thread poster: Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:56
German to Spanish
Jan 13, 2004

I have seen many rates in Proz that I do not understand.
If a translator requests, for example, 0,04 or 0,05 € per word, how he can also request 30 € per hour? If I received 0.04 € per word I would never reach 30 € per hour (nor in two either).
Am I so slow?

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 22:56
English to Russian
+ ...
Not so literally Jan 13, 2004

Likely none of us charge per hour when translating plain text at home. Yet we

1. accept in-house assignments - days or weeks on-site, and sometimes an hourly rate is better, for example, when the client agrees to pay overtime or you have a flexible schedule.

2. translate PowerPoint slides where word count quite often has very little to do with actual time spent.

The list can go on, and hourly rates are for those sorts of things.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm not discussing prices per se Jan 13, 2004

but I do find the ratio and service type aspects raised here inconsistent.

Toledo wrote:

If a translator requests, for example, 0,04 or 0,05 € per word, how he can also request 30 € per hour? If I received 0.04 € per word I would never reach 30 € per hour (nor in two either).
Am I so slow?

By the industry standards of average productivity, 30 €/hr. corresponds to a rate of 0,06. (It's also the price of a monolingual language class in these parts, so figure...)

I understand the principle of charging per hour (at whatever rate) to cover files having difficult formats or other types of problems, but I agree there should be some consistency in marketing.

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:56
English to German
+ ...
I asked a similar question a while ago... Jan 14, 2004

and nobody replied. I'm sure you know the answer to your question anyway...

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:26
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Are we not forgetting something? Jan 14, 2004

Hourly rate is meant for work at the client's premises, where he can monitor the actual time spent on the job. What is more, he has a translator exclusively at his disposal during this period. It is really not very convenient for the translator to come all the way to the client's place.

If a doctor visits the patient at the latter's home the patient has to pay more than if he were to go to the patient's surgery. Similarly the translator has to be paid more. In my case the client has
... See more
Hourly rate is meant for work at the client's premises, where he can monitor the actual time spent on the job. What is more, he has a translator exclusively at his disposal during this period. It is really not very convenient for the translator to come all the way to the client's place.

If a doctor visits the patient at the latter's home the patient has to pay more than if he were to go to the patient's surgery. Similarly the translator has to be paid more. In my case the client has also to pay me my taxi fare both ways.
Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:56
Georgian to English
+ ...
Another factor Jan 14, 2004

which can affect word rates is the "density" of words in a language - consider the source or target word counts for translating a text from a language which tends to use more words, to a language which tends to use less words - and the opposite process - if both are to pay for the time, labour and skill needed.

mbc
mbc
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
By the hour for short texts Jan 14, 2004

I live in Barcelona and some publishers pay me by the hour for small volume, time-consuming texts. I do the work at home and they trust me to bill them by the hour. They know that some texts of only 1000 words might take 8 hours or even 10 or 12 when I need to search for specific vocabulary or think up catchy slogans. Usually they pay me that way up to 3000 words and then pay by the word. (Otherwise, I would be rich!!)

It´s interesting post and I think different publishers/agencies
... See more
I live in Barcelona and some publishers pay me by the hour for small volume, time-consuming texts. I do the work at home and they trust me to bill them by the hour. They know that some texts of only 1000 words might take 8 hours or even 10 or 12 when I need to search for specific vocabulary or think up catchy slogans. Usually they pay me that way up to 3000 words and then pay by the word. (Otherwise, I would be rich!!)

It´s interesting post and I think different publishers/agencies/companies vary in how they are willing to be charged.
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hourly rates may apply to proofreading or DTP Jan 14, 2004

in your own office as well. If you apply an industry average standard of 1,200 words/hr. proofread, there should be no problem. (In case of text difficulty, YELL.)

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

If a doctor visits the patient at the latter's home the patient has to pay more than if he were to go to the patient's surgery. Similarly the translator has to be paid more. In my case the client has also to pay me my taxi fare both ways.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

Right. But the taxi and ancilliary services are not my own and figure on the driver's bill, not mine (in tax terms, to be perfectly legal about this. If I flew, I'd have to turn in the airline voucher, which is what I do on such assignments, and perhaps bill travel/briefing time at a minimum admissible rate. I'm not selling airline tickets or taxi fare).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Target per hour and per word

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »