How about reciprocal links among translators?
Thread poster: Elizabeth Sumner
Elizabeth Sumner
Elizabeth Sumner
Local time: 12:50
Russian to English
+ ...
Feb 5, 2004

I sometimes get offers for work in either languages I don't know, translations out of instead of into English or when I just don't have the time to complete a large job, etc.

I would like to add other translators' websites to my links page so clients would be able to find just what they wanted - of course I'll include a link to Proz.
... See more
I sometimes get offers for work in either languages I don't know, translations out of instead of into English or when I just don't have the time to complete a large job, etc.

I would like to add other translators' websites to my links page so clients would be able to find just what they wanted - of course I'll include a link to Proz.com. If anyone is interested, please visit www.polaris-translation.co.uk and, if you like what you see, send your URL to [email protected].

Elizabeth Sumner
Collapse

Elizabeth Sumner
Elizabeth Sumner
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the links so far - first update this weekend Feb 6, 2004

Thanks to everyone who has sent me their URLs.

I've had quite a few people who asked for their Proz webpages to go up. I'm going to add a link to the Proz homepage. The web adresses of Proz translator pages look very similar so I'm not sure that individual links would be that effective. However, I will be keeping all the details on file and will let you know if something turns up.

For everyone who has replied so far, the first link update will be this weekend. I'l
... See more
Thanks to everyone who has sent me their URLs.

I've had quite a few people who asked for their Proz webpages to go up. I'm going to add a link to the Proz homepage. The web adresses of Proz translator pages look very similar so I'm not sure that individual links would be that effective. However, I will be keeping all the details on file and will let you know if something turns up.

For everyone who has replied so far, the first link update will be this weekend. I'll email out the html for my link in a word attachment.

Regards,
Elizabeth
www.polaris-translation.co.uk
Collapse

Elizabeth Sumner
Elizabeth Sumner
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reciprocal links update Feb 8, 2004

Just to let people know I have updated everyone's link on Polaris-Translation. Please keep them coming in.

Many thanks,
Elizabeth Sumner
www.polaris-translation.co.uk

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:50
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It's a good idea if the languages are relevant Feb 9, 2004

Elizabeth Sumner wrote:
I would like to add other translators' websites to my links page so clients would be able to find just what they wanted.

I offer Afrikaans<>English and I make that quite clear on the front page of my web site. I doubt if any client looking for French<>Spanish, for example, would stay long enough on my web site to discover the links page where other translators' links are located. However, someone looking for Dutch<>English or English<>Xhosa might stay a while in the hope to find referrals, because these languages are "related" to the combination I'm offering.

My 2c: Don't fill your web site with irrelevant links, but rather present a professional image by linking only to relevant information. Your comment?

[Edited at 2004-02-09 09:53]

Pavel Protopopov
Pavel Protopopov
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:50
English to Russian
All the languages are relevant Jul 28, 2004

[quote]Samuel Murray-Smit wrote:

My 2c: Don't fill your web site with irrelevant links, but rather present a professional image by linking only to relevant information. Your comment?

Unfortunately, this is a typical mistake of a freelance translator: to preserve "purity" so that no irrelevant link appeared on their website. You forget or just are ignorant of importance of link popularity. Even if a visitor to a website will not stay to look at this link page, the search engine spider will notice it for sure. If your website has many relevant links to it on the Net (and for us - all the translation and even language links are relevant) you will get a good position in search engine results, which is much more important than a casual visitor to some website. The dream of every webmaster is to see his website in the first 30 results of a search on relevant keywords. You will never get there without relevant links to your website from other website if only your language pair is not unique or rare. For four years now I have a large section of my website http://www.russiantranslation.ru/ devoted to reciprocal links, freelance translators and translation agencies, language schools and language learning centers, translation databases and language jobs among them, and add new links to it costantly. Result: my website appears in the first 10 search results in the major search engines.

I believe that every translator must have link pages with links to other translators websites.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How about reciprocal links among translators?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »