Irish VAT rules
Thread poster: Anne Seerup

Anne Seerup
Ireland
Local time: 11:03
English to Danish
+ ...
Feb 12, 2004

I have just registered for VAT as I am likely to exceed the 25 K this year. While I think the rules are pretty clear with regard to in-country transactions, I am confused as to whether and what to charge customers in other EU-countries and outside the EU.
The information is very scarce.

Having just spoken to a tax advisor who would charge me an extortionate rate for establishing my VAT liability and confirming what I might already know, I thought I would ask here first as there may be other translators living in Ireland who are familiar with these regulations.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:03
English to German
+ ...
Ample information from the Irish Revenue Feb 12, 2004

Hi Anne,

Have you had a look at the Irish Revenue website? Go to Information ... by Tax & Duty - Taxes & Duties - Value Added Tax. At the bottom of the page, you'll find a section entitled Reference Material, where you will find a link to the Guide to Value Added Tax. Chapter 4 (and particularly sections 4.4, 4.8 and 4.9) should be most relevant for you.

A comprehensive VAT Guide is available as a PDF.

HTH, Ralf

Anne Seerup
Ireland
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 12, 2004

Thank you Ralf - I was actually searching for that comprehensive guide but could not find it this morning.
The "simple" guide I have only explains VAT when services are supplied within Ireland.

So being a service provider I believe, I do not have to charge VAT to customers in other EU countries, provided these are businesses (I assume VAT-registered) AND the place of supply is in the other EU-State (chapter 4).

Anne

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Anne,

Have you had a look at the Irish Revenue website? Go to Information ... by Tax & Duty - Taxes & Duties - Value Added Tax. At the bottom of the page, you'll find a section entitled Reference Material, where you will find a link to the Guide to Value Added Tax. Chapter 4 (and particularly sections 4.4, 4.8 and 4.9) should be most relevant for you.

A comprehensive VAT Guide is available as a PDF.

HTH, Ralf

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:03
English to German
+ ...
German VAT rules Feb 14, 2004

Hi Anne,
So being a service provider I believe, I do not have to charge VAT to customers in other EU countries, provided these are businesses (I assume VAT-registered) AND the place of supply is in the other EU-State (chapter 4).

Obviously, I don't know the Irish VAT rules, but that's the procedure under German VAT laws. Although strictly speaking, you can run a business without being VAT-registered, the VAT ID is generally required as proof of the recipient's status as a business.

Have you tried your local IRS office for advice? They should know, and they don't charge for answering questions... That said, as soon as you reach a certain level of business, a tax advisor is often worth the investment.

Best regards, Ralf

[Edited at 2004-02-14 07:29]

Anne Seerup
Ireland
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 14, 2004

I am definitely considering hiring an account, and I am currently in the process of finding a good and affordable one - so until then I will have to deal with the VAT-issues myself and the somewhat impossible task of sqeezing information out of the staff at the local tax office.

Anyway I got a couple of helpful replies privately and along with the comprehensive pdf guide - I think I am well informed enough to go ahead.

Thank you all for your replies

Anne
Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Anne,

Obviously, I don't know the Irish VAT rules, but that's the procedure under German VAT laws. Although strictly speaking, you can run a business without being VAT-registered, the VAT ID is generally required as proof of the recipient's status as a business.

Have you tried your local IRS office for advice? They should know, and they don't charge for answering questions... That said, as soon as you reach a certain level of business, a tax advisor is often worth the investment.

Best regards, Ralf

[Edited at 2004-02-14 07:29]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Irish VAT rules

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search