Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:53
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Dec 16, 2010

I wonder how common is such a case: I send in a short translation and the PM answers, why is the language XX and not YY? I answer, I never translate into YY, and the previous project was into XX.
Fortunately it was only a small job.

Another employee of the same agency constantly mixes up my job delivery date with that of another translator and wonders why I did not turn in the job in time, yesterday. Delivery date was agreed Jan 7, 2011.

Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 12:53
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Never had them Dec 16, 2010

Never had such experiences before, but will bear in mind that even such things may happen.

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:53
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Similar name? Dec 16, 2010

Could it be that the other translator has a name similar to yours?
Oliver

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:53
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
source into source Dec 16, 2010

I have an agency that sometimes sends me an English document and asks me to translate it into English. At least that's an easy mistake to spot

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:53
English to Japanese
+ ...
Happens sometimes on Proz job offers too Dec 16, 2010

I sometimes spot job offers with titles such as "JAP-ENG translator wanted for 10,000 Words Manual". And when I read the content, the first line reads "we're looking for a native Japanese speaker to translate a manual of a XX machine from English to Japanese. Please send us your CV, your best rate in USD, blah blah blah.
So which language pair are we talking about???

Gail Bond MITI  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
French to English
Easy money, Emma :-) Dec 16, 2010

... if only!

I did a job yesterday, loads of fiddly formatting and I was really proud of the finished result, only to find the client had mistakenly sent me the wrong file (last season's version, d'oh). So I now have to start again with another similarly complicated doc!

But I have to say this is very rare for this agency, they are usually super-efficient.

Oh well, back to it...

Kuochoe Nikoi  Identity Verified
Ghana
Japanese to English
What now? Dec 16, 2010

Gail Bond wrote:

I did a job yesterday, loads of fiddly formatting and I was really proud of the finished result, only to find the client had mistakenly sent me the wrong file (last season's version, d'oh). So I now have to start again with another similarly complicated doc!

But I have to say this is very rare for this agency, they are usually super-efficient.

Oh well, back to it...

Are they paying you for your time or will you let it slide because they're normally good customers?

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:23
English to Tamil
+ ...
Be careful to get paid for the first translation as well Dec 16, 2010

After all, it is not your fault that a wrong version was sent to you. Don't let the agency escape from paying through whining and trying to raise your sympathy for the poor agency employee, whose salary will be cut if you insist on payment!!!!

Regards,
Dondu N. Raghavan

Gail Bond wrote:

... if only!

Oh well, back to it...

Gail Bond MITI  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
French to English
Paid for both versions Dec 16, 2010

No, sorry I should have made it clear that the agency are paying me in full for both versions, without prompting, they're decent people!

Signe Golly  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Swiss/Swedish, Dutch/Danish Dec 16, 2010

Tomato/tomato, Potato/potato, right?

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:53
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Or they confuse similar languages... Dec 16, 2010

Of course on rare occasions I'll get a request intended for somebody else. I just assume it's an e-mail autofill or template glitch. But I've never turned in a job only to find out they thought somebody else was doing it, or even that I had been working on different job. More often, I'll get requests titled as my combinations that actually turn to out be related languages (e.g., "Croatian" jobs that were actually Slovenian, Slovak, Bulgarian, etc.)

xxxJon O  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
confusion Dec 17, 2010

I once got sent a job by an agency in India I think that was supposed to be Afrikaans but turned out to be Tagalog!! Needless to say, I wasn't much use to them.

Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:53
Member (2009)
French to English
A similar situation Dec 18, 2010

I was working in a team on a large project when one final stray document came in near the end. The PM asked if could please add this one to my stack, but I had to decline as this was Dutch to English, instead of French to English like all of the other documents. This project was quite large and I think the PM was running on autopilot by that point. She apologized and rerouted the file to the right translator.

Wolf Kux  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:53
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
All such mistakes are saying that ... Dec 18, 2010

... this agency or its employee is doing a bad job, or did not verified carefully what he/she is sending.

In Brazil we say that such guy smoked defeated marijuana ("fumou maconha estragada").

If you find and report such mistakes very early, maybe that such guy will send you more jobs in order that you do not reveal his/her mistakes to his/her boss!

Marie-Andree Dionne  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:53
English to French
Same text over and over... Dec 18, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I have an agency that sometimes sends me an English document and asks me to translate it into English. At least that's an easy mistake to spot

I've had a client send me texts (long pharmaceutical monographs) to translate that I had done less than 2 years (sometimes only 6 months) earlier. Because they were decent people, I told them instead of taking advantage of it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency asked for wrong language

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search