https://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/19050-online_validation_of_experience_as_a_translator.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Online validation of experience as a translator
Thread poster: Karin Kutscher
Karin Kutscher
Karin Kutscher  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 4, 2004

Can anyone recommend a reliable online university or college? I have 11 years of experience as a freelance English > Spanish translator and I'm now looking to improve my resume with a degree.... But am very wary of diploma mills.

Karin

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:37
Spanish to English
Como buscar en los foros anteriores - Why not try searching the forums Mar 4, 2004

Si metes "a distancia" en search y una paloma en forums, verás que allí puedes encontrar información.
Hay otra gente mucho más hábil que yo para encontrar las cosas en los foros, pero como todavía no te han contestado, es un principio.
saludos
Lesley

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
German to English
Validation Mar 4, 2004

Hello Karin,
Antoinette-M. Sixt Ruth completed a series of online courses given by New York University several months ago. She earned a certificate in translation. I'm sure she'd be happy to tell you all about it. You can find her profile by typing in her name in the search box to the left.
Have you considered the American Translators Association certificate? You might be able to set up an exam in Chile. All you need is someone in Chile who is certified and can serve as a proctor. A
... See more
Hello Karin,
Antoinette-M. Sixt Ruth completed a series of online courses given by New York University several months ago. She earned a certificate in translation. I'm sure she'd be happy to tell you all about it. You can find her profile by typing in her name in the search box to the left.
Have you considered the American Translators Association certificate? You might be able to set up an exam in Chile. All you need is someone in Chile who is certified and can serve as a proctor. Anyone who passes the ATA exam is a certified translator. There's no training involved at this time, of course. Later there will be a continuing education requirement to maintain certification.
Best wishes,
Kim

[Edited at 2004-03-04 23:32]

[Edited at 2004-03-04 23:33]
Collapse

appreciation Mar 4, 2004

Hi Kim,

I am in the same position, and your answer is useful to me at this point. Let me express my words of appreciation for your help.

Nedzad

Kim Metzger wrote:

Hello Karin,
Antoinette-M. Sixt Ruth completed an online course given by New York University several months ago. I believe she earned a certificate in translation. I'm sure she'd be happy to tell you all about it. You can find her profile by typing in her name in the search box to the left.
Have you considered the American Translators Association certificate? You might be able to set up an exam in Chile. All you need is someone in Chile who is certified and can serve as a proctor. Anyone who passes the ATA exam is a certified translator. There's no training involved at this time, of course.
Best wishes,
Kim

Karin Kutscher
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Muchas gracias Mar 4, 2004

Kim Metzger wrote:

Hello Karin,
Have you considered the American Translators Association certificate? You might be able to set up an exam in Chile. All you need is someone in Chile who is certified and can serve as a proctor. Anyone who passes the ATA exam is a certified translator. There's no training involved at this time, of course. Later there will be a continuing education requirement to maintain certification.
Best wishes,
Kim

Those are wonderful suggestions! Aaah.. with the help of friends, everything is possible.

Much thanks!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:37
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Why not try giving a helpful answer, instead Mar 5, 2004

Lesley Clarke wrote:
Why not try searching the forums?

Okay, I searched the forums for words like "online study", "online university", "university on the web" etc, but I found *nothing*.

Carley Hydusik
Carley Hydusik  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Bosnian at the ATA Mar 5, 2004

Hi Nedzad,

Just for your information, the American Translators Association does not currently give certification exams for Bosnian/English and vice-versa, but they are actively working on developing an exam right now. Also, they really want to hear from people who might be interested in taking it, because it can only happen if there is enough interest. I have the email address of the woman in charge of that, so drop me a line if you'd like me to send it to you.

Vuk Vujosevic
Vuk Vujosevic  Identity Verified
Montenegro
English to Serbian
+ ...
ATA Mar 5, 2004

Although I am translator I wwould like to have ATA certificate for English - Serbian pair.
Thanks,
Vuk

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Consult ATA webpage Mar 5, 2004

Vuk Vujosevic wrote:

Although I am translator I wwould like to have ATA certificate for English - Serbian pair.
Thanks,
Vuk

My recommendation for all those interested in obtaining ATA certification is to consult their webpage (www.ata.org), since it is my understanding that applicants have to demonstrate PROVEN translation abilities (such as a translation degree, or postgraduate degree plus several years translation experience, or certification from another recognized translation organization) to be able to write their exam (besides paying the adecuate membership and exam dues). Good luck!

Karin Kutscher
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ATA URL Mar 5, 2004

The URL of ATA is www.atanet.org.

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
German to English
ATA exam Mar 5, 2004

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios wrote:
... since it is my understanding that applicants have to demonstrate PROVEN translation abilities (such as a translation degree, or postgraduate degree plus several years translation experience, or certification from another recognized translation organization) to be able to write their exam ...

Hi Rosa Maria. Good point about consulting the ATA webpage, but a degree and experience in translation are not prerequisites for taking the exam. Here are some excerpts:

Eligibility
Individuals who have been ATA members for at least four weeks and meet our eligibility requirements may take the certification examination.

- Translators and interpreters currently accredited or certified by a member association of the Federacion
Internationale des Traducteurs:

- Translators and interpreters with an advanced degree or approved T&I degree/certificate.
- Proof of advanced degree (master', doctorate, or the equivalent professional)
- Proof of degree/certificate from approved T&I program (must be from the list approved by the ATA
Education and Training Committee.)

- Proof of a bachelor's degree and
- Evidence of at least two years' work as a translator or interpreter, which may include either of the
following:
- Two letters of reference from clients or supervisors; or
- Copies of records of business activity such as Schedule C tax forms, corporate tax returns, 1099s,
invoices, or work orders.
- Translators or interpreters with less than a bachelor's degree:
- Evidence of at least five years' work as a translator or interpreter, which may include either of the
following:
- Five letters of reference from clients or supervisors; or
- Copies of records of business activity such as Schedule C tax forms, corporate tax returns, 1099s, invoices, or work orders.

[Edited at 2004-03-05 23:12]

Kenza
Kenza
Swedish to French
+ ...
Holà Karin ! :-) Mar 5, 2004

You could try the Institute of Linguists, in London, they might have some online courses English Spanish. As far as I know them, they are a serious reference. Cheers

Antoinette-M. Sixt Ruth
Antoinette-M. Sixt Ruth  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:37
English to German
+ ...
Online Validation and NYU Mar 7, 2004

Lesley Clarke wrote:

Si metes "a distancia" en search y una paloma en forums, verás que allí puedes encontrar información.
Hay otra gente mucho más hábil que yo para encontrar las cosas en los foros, pero como todavía no te han contestado, es un principio.
saludos
Lesley

Antoinette-M. Sixt Ruth
English to German
+ ...
Response re NYU Online Mar 7, 2004

Kim Metzger wrote:

Hello Karin,
Best wishes,
Kim

Dear Forum-Members:

A couple of you asked me to state my experience with the NYU School of Continuing and Professional Studies’ Translation Certificate program.
Here it is:
1. Why did I do it?

My reasons are most likely different from those you might have: I have been working as a part-time freelance translator GE since 1995. Before 1995, I worked full-time in different industries. I did not always work as a translator; but my foreign language skills were always welcome and represented a distinct advantage. I had worked overseas and made good money.
I am the typical eternal student viz.: I got my BBA while working full-time and going to night school. After I married in 1995 I retired from full-time employment, I started translation work on a part-time basis and attended the San Antonio, Texas, school of Mexico City-based UNAM. I graduated from there with a degree in Spanish in 1999.
When 2000 rolled around, I experienced health problems that would prevent me from advancing my amateur golfing career. Moreover, one of my principal clients in Germany, an aircraft manufacturing company, ran into financial problems and their work dried up quite a bit.
Therefore, in effect, I was looking for yet another challenge. I had received my certification many years ago from the London-based Institute of Linguists; but I felt that – living in the US since 1975 – it would be nice to add some US qualifications to my resume. I did not want to sit for the ATA (American Translators Association) certification (accreditation in those days), because candidates are not allowed to use computers (and most of my glossaries are in electronic form; besides, my handwriting is not very good).

2. What does NYU require and offer respectively?

Prior to being admitted, all candidates for the translation program need to present themselves to a timed translation at a time and place convenient to them. Moreover, a short essay in English is required. The test is administered done by fax/ phone.
To obtain the German > English Translation Certificate, six classes are required i.e.
Introduction, Commercial I, II, Legal I, II, Medical and/ or some technical translation class. Taking an extra class (as I did) is most certainly not discouraged. I took Products & Services, which was a combination of advertising and product/ services description.

If I remember correctly, a B is the ‘lowest’ grade acceptable by NYU.

3. Cost

When I started in late spring of 2001, each class cost $630 + $20 registration fee. My last class cost $710 + $20. The admissions test cost me $25.

4. Instructors

As far as I know, all instructors are working translators, instructors or practicing professionals i.e. attorneys, accountants, systems analysts, doctors, etc. I can honestly say, that the majority of the instructors I got to know where very good, helpful and reasonably well available (say within 48 hrs. of sending an e-mail, I could expect some kind of response).

5. Class Design

NYU uses a couple of interactive online software programs (that are provided by NYU) to conduct the classes. It is up to the instructor, to provide for online live sessions, or so-called “forums” where all the students submit their questions/ observations, etc. to the topic of the week. Homework should be submitted on time (although working ahead is not discouraged). The instructor is then required to provide feedback within an appropriate timeframe.
I spent an average of 8 hours per week to complete all assignments.
Each course lasts 10 weeks.

6. What I valued most

I learned i.e. I received confirmation that how I had been working is fine and professionally acceptable. It is nice to be able to add this NYU qualification on my CV; however, I have not received more or less work because of NYU. However, I did gain 'active' membership status with ATA without taking their examination.
I welcomed all the contacts I could establish with students and instructors alike. In a way, I was able to expand my professional horizon by studying online at NYU.

Let me finish by stating that I do not regret having spent the money and the time to go through this program. In addition to the above experiences and benefits, I got to know what it takes to study online. I am now looking at an online Localization program, which is offered by the Austin Community College….

If any of you wants to ask me particular questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected]. Your geographical location and time zone should not discourage you from enrolling at NYU. On and off we had students from Europe and Latin America as well as from all corners of the USA.

Antoinette-M. Sixt Ruth
English to German
+ ...
Online Validation and NYU Mar 7, 2004

Dear Forum-Members:

A couple of you asked me to state my experience with the NYU School of Continuing and Professional Studies’ Translation Certificate program.
Here it is:
1. Why did I do it?

My reasons are most likely different from those you might have: I have been working as a part-time freelance translator GE since 1995. Before 1995, I worked full-time in different industries. I did not always work as a translator; but my foreign language skills were
... See more
Dear Forum-Members:

Here it is:
1. Why did I do it?

My reasons are most likely different from those you might have: I have been working as a part-time freelance translator GE since 1995. Before 1995, I worked full-time in different industries. I did not always work as a translator; but my foreign language skills were always welcome and represented a distinct advantage. I had worked overseas and made good money.
I am the typical eternal student viz.: I got my BBA while working full-time and going to night school. After I married in 1995 I retired from full-time employment, I started translation work on a part-time basis and attended the San Antonio, Texas, school of Mexico City-based UNAM. I graduated from there with a degree in Spanish in 1999.
When 2000 rolled around, I experienced health problems that would prevent me from advancing my amateur golfing career. Moreover, one of my principal clients in Germany, an aircraft manufacturing company, ran into financial problems and their work dried up quite a bit.
Therefore, in effect, I was looking for yet another challenge. I had received my certification many years ago from the London-based Institute of Linguists; but I felt that – living in the US since 1975 – it would be nice to add some US qualifications to my resume. I did not want to sit for the ATA (American Translators Association) certification (accreditation in those days), because candidates are not allowed to use computers (and most of my glossaries are in electronic form; besides, my handwriting is not very good).

2. What does NYU require and offer respectively?

Prior to being admitted, all candidates for the translation program need to present themselves to a timed translation at a time and place convenient to them. Moreover, a short essay in English is required. The test is administered done by fax/ phone.
To obtain the German > English Translation Certificate, six classes are required i.e.
Introduction, Commercial I, II, Legal I, II, Medical and/ or some technical translation class. Taking an extra class (as I did) is most certainly not discouraged. I took Products & Services, which was a combination of advertising and product/ services description.

If I remember correctly, a B is the ‘lowest’ grade acceptable by NYU.

3. Cost

When I started in late spring of 2001, each class cost $630 + $20 registration fee. My last class cost $710 + $20. The admissions test cost me $25.

4. Instructors

As far as I know, all instructors are working translators, instructors or practicing professionals i.e. attorneys, accountants, systems analysts, doctors, etc. I can honestly say, that the majority of the instructors I got to know where very good, helpful and reasonably well available (say within 48 hrs. of sending an e-mail, I could expect some kind of response).

5. Class Design

NYU uses a couple of interactive online software programs (that are provided by NYU) to conduct the classes. It is up to the instructor, to provide for online live sessions, or so-called “forums” where all the students submit their questions/ observations, etc. to the topic of the week. Homework should be submitted on time (although working ahead is not discouraged). The instructor is then required to provide feedback within an appropriate timeframe.
I spent an average of 8 hours per week to complete all assignments.
Each course lasts 10 weeks.

6. What I valued most

I learned i.e. I received confirmation that how I had been working is fine and professionally acceptable. It is nice to be able to add this NYU qualification on my CV; however, I have not received more or less work because of NYU. However, I did gain 'active' membership status with ATA without taking their examination.
I welcomed all the contacts I could establish with students and instructors alike. In a way, I was able to expand my professional horizon by studying online at NYU.

Let me finish by stating that I do not regret having spent the money and the time to go through this program. In addition to the above experiences and benefits, I got to know what it takes to study online. I am now looking at an online Localization program, which is offered by the Austin Community College….

If any of you wants to ask me particular questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected]. Your geographical location and time zone should not discourage you from enrolling at NYU. On and off we had students from Europe and Latin America as well as from all corners of the USA.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Online validation of experience as a translator

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »