Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:28
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Mar 18, 2004

http://www.translationdirectory.com/article53.htm

A very upsetting article about the translation business in Great Britain. Hope something will be done soon.
That whole site seems to be very well kept with lots of informative articles. A must for every beginner, but not only beginners. Enjoy!

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:28
Georgian to English
+ ...
the article doesn't reflect my experience or that of people I know Mar 18, 2004

For all countries it is necessary to take sensible precautions to seek to protect oneself against the minority of bad operators. This is true for the UK, for Finland, for all countries - whether your client is in the same country as you, or beyond your country's jurisdiction.
The article is rather slanted in tone and content....I wouldn't rely on it (speaking as a member who isn't an agency, and has no stake in one).
Giuli~
(Eng Rus Geo)

[Edited at 2004-03-18 10:13]

Miguel Llorens
Miguel Llorens  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Hmmm.... Mar 18, 2004

I think the article is a wild overstatement. I don´t believe there is a higher proportion of non-payers in Britain than anywhere else. There are crooks everywhere, just as there bona fide agencies everywhere and, fortunately, the latter generally outnumber the former. Besides, the featured non-payment case is a little hard to believe: a translator accepts a project which is setlled annually. Who in their right mind would accept a deal like that?

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
not my experience Mar 18, 2004

I have lived and worked in the UK for the past 3 years. 99% of my clients are UK agencies and I have always been paid. Am I so lucky?? or this article is exaggerating a bit?
Of course, I would have *never* let any clients' account grow so much as £30,000, to start chasing them *after a year*. I wouldn't wait for even 10% of it.
I don't think that's a valid example.

Anyway, for the UK and the rest of the world, it's better to be alert. There are crooks everywhere. And th
... See more
I have lived and worked in the UK for the past 3 years. 99% of my clients are UK agencies and I have always been paid. Am I so lucky?? or this article is exaggerating a bit?
Of course, I would have *never* let any clients' account grow so much as £30,000, to start chasing them *after a year*. I wouldn't wait for even 10% of it.
I don't think that's a valid example.

Anyway, for the UK and the rest of the world, it's better to be alert. There are crooks everywhere. And there are places with loose regulations about companies everywhere.

Happy and safe translating.
Grace.
Collapse

Eva T
Eva T
English to Albanian
+ ...
Good and bad experiences in UK Mar 18, 2004

I have had some bad experiences with companies in UK, but one of the main companies I work for has been great and they always pay me in time. In UK is same as everywhere else I guess.
Eva

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you UK? Read this!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »