Vacations with or without laptops?
Thread poster: Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Mary McCusker
Mary McCusker  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:14
German to English
+ ...
my laptop experience Jan 20, 2003

I actually took my laptop on a holiday to Club Med (in Turkey) with my children, because I was expecting to be granted a project (I was) and thought I could spare a few moments to get started on it (I did). But on the last night of our stay, burglars broke into our bungalow and in addition to actually UNBOLTING and removing the safe and therefore all its contents, of course took my laptop. Fortunately I had backed up and removed my work, but I lost everything else and I must say Club Med was not... See more
I actually took my laptop on a holiday to Club Med (in Turkey) with my children, because I was expecting to be granted a project (I was) and thought I could spare a few moments to get started on it (I did). But on the last night of our stay, burglars broke into our bungalow and in addition to actually UNBOLTING and removing the safe and therefore all its contents, of course took my laptop. Fortunately I had backed up and removed my work, but I lost everything else and I must say Club Med was not a great help with respect to compensation. I am still trying to get the insurance money.

So above all don\'t forget the increased security risks when you next contemplate taking a laptop along...

Collapse

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:14
German to English
+ ...
Time to play Feb 8, 2003

I always take my laptop with me on holiday. Even if I\'m not working there are still plenty of things to do, such as tidying up reference files, collating information, converting downloaded web glossaries into termbases (Transit/Trados) and generally playing with little-used features of the various programmes or optimising macros and shortcuts. There is no time pressure so these tasks are actually enjoyable and have the added advantage of speeding up the workflow.

The excuse to my husb
... See more
I always take my laptop with me on holiday. Even if I\'m not working there are still plenty of things to do, such as tidying up reference files, collating information, converting downloaded web glossaries into termbases (Transit/Trados) and generally playing with little-used features of the various programmes or optimising macros and shortcuts. There is no time pressure so these tasks are actually enjoyable and have the added advantage of speeding up the workflow.

The excuse to my husband: I need the laptop to download pictures from my digital camera!

Collapse

IsaPro
IsaPro  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Advance notice... without mobile! Mar 4, 2003

Hi everybody!

I\'d like to inform you that I\'ll be on vacation from March 8 to 15...

Here is the message my clients received last week.

I won\'t take any notebook nor mobile and I will focus on... the mountains and skiing!!!

I\'ll think of you once I\'ll be there!

ntouzet (X)
ntouzet (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Depends... Mar 9, 2003

I once rented a PowerBook (because Macintosh was my main client\'s preferred system), checked my e-mail every single day, not a single job and all that money wasted for nothing!

So because I work for faithful clients, and I like to enjoy my (rare) vacations, I warn them in advance that I am taking some well-earned days off, and I\'ll miss them, etc, and that\'s it!

However if I am in my home country, I have set up e-mail forwarding from my Wanadoo mailbo
... See more
I once rented a PowerBook (because Macintosh was my main client\'s preferred system), checked my e-mail every single day, not a single job and all that money wasted for nothing!

So because I work for faithful clients, and I like to enjoy my (rare) vacations, I warn them in advance that I am taking some well-earned days off, and I\'ll miss them, etc, and that\'s it!

However if I am in my home country, I have set up e-mail forwarding from my Wanadoo mailbox to my Orange (mobile) mailbox. If anything comes up, I can always call the client and enquire.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Vacations with or without laptops?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »