https://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/230-insurance.html

Insurance
Thread poster: mtrent1
mtrent1
mtrent1
German to English
Aug 18, 2001

I started to learn German about 2 years ago with intention of improving my job skills. I was placed into a automotive transmission design group that was part of a joint venture between a German and American automotive company. After 2 years of learning the language and about a year of translating technical documents, I have begun to think about doing technical translations for pay. Being an extreme novice, I wondered whether it was common for most beginning translators to have some insurance.... See more
I started to learn German about 2 years ago with intention of improving my job skills. I was placed into a automotive transmission design group that was part of a joint venture between a German and American automotive company. After 2 years of learning the language and about a year of translating technical documents, I have begun to think about doing technical translations for pay. Being an extreme novice, I wondered whether it was common for most beginning translators to have some insurance. If so, where would I get more information about this product?

Matt Trent
Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 18:06
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 8, 2001

Hi,

Here\'s an excerpt from www.pro-ii.com/quotespii.htm

on this interesting subject - already posted in \'Business Issues\':

Professional Indemnity Insurance Explained

Professional Indemnity Insurance provides essential financial protection for a wide range of professional advisers. In the event that a client suffers financial loss as a re
... See more
Hi,

Here\'s an excerpt from www.pro-ii.com/quotespii.htm

on this interesting subject - already posted in \'Business Issues\':

Professional Indemnity Insurance Explained

Professional Indemnity Insurance provides essential financial protection for a wide range of professional advisers. In the event that a client suffers financial loss as a result of alleged neglect, error or omission Professional Indemnity Insurance will meet the cost of defending claims and any damages payable.

Any person who gives advice, designs, or offers similar services in a professional capacity is seen by clients as an expert. In these times of high consumer awareness, clients will not hesitate to pursue a claim if they feel that they have received sub-standard service. The need for Professional Indemnity Insurance has never been greater.

While some professional people see Professional Indemnity Insurance as an expensive and unnecessary overhead, we know from experience that any professional can produce substantial claims. Court awards have risen sharply in receipt years. Without insurance, the financial security of a business is threatened. The following examples highlight the importance of Professional Indemnity Insurance:

A business wished to be known by a particular trade name. After consulting with company registration agents, it was told that there was no objection to its chosen name. Proceedings were issued by a company with a similar name and £20,000 was paid in connection by the agents.

Detailers prepared structural drawings for the erection of steelwork. It was subsequently alleged that the drawings contained errors and £110,000 was claimed for the costs of alteration and the resulting delays in construction..

An auctioneer sold property at auction over a number of years. It was alleged that the property was stolen and a claim for £250,000 was brought for conversion..

It was alleged that consulting engineers were negligent in their design of waste heating boilers. A claim for £4m was brought for the cost of extra work and the resulting delays..

An estate agent missed the opportunity to carry out a rent review because of a defective rent review notice. The claim was settled for £50,000. .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOW MUCH COVER IS REQUIRED?

Only the professional can assess the amount of cover appropriate to the business. In determining how much cover to effect, it is important that a realistic view is taken of the potential damages and legal costs for which the business could become liable. Being under-insured can be almost as financially disastrous as being without insurance at all - as the examples below reveal.

We recommend that no insurance policy is taken out with a limit of less than £250,000. We will, however, provide a quotation for lower levels of indemnity if asked to do so. We are also able to provide cover up to a limit of £10,000,000 in most cases. Any professionals in doubt about the amount of cover they should take out should consult their legal advisers.

The following examples highlight the dangers of being under-insured.

Case 1 - It was alleged that surveyors were negligent in their valuation of a property on behalf of a lender.

Loss: £1.5m

Insurance: £1m

Case 2 - A consulting engineer designed a roof which proved to be defective..

Loss: £350,000

Insurance: £100,000

Case 3 - A design consultant provided designs for tools to be used in manufacturing process. It was alleged that the designers were inaccurate..

Loss: £150,000

Insurance: £100,000

Or just consider entering your query at www.google.com or www.metacrawler.com or www.ixquick.com for literally thousands of hits, including companies offering this insurance.

Have a nice day,

Evert Deloof-Sys

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Insurance

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »