Signature file - Is this acceptable contract clause?
Thread poster: Levan Namoradze

Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 01:34
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
Sep 10, 2004

Dear colleagues,

Could someone please tell me whether the term below is accepted by the good international practice. On my mind, it sounds fine, but I not an expert at all with that regard.

Thank you all in advance!

"Independent Contractor Signature Form". As an Independent Contractor with ***, you will be authorized to issue official certified translations (for use in the *** and abroad). In order to issue Certified Translations, you must keep a copy of your signature on file. This agreement states that we will keep your signature secure, and cannot issue a Certificate of Translation without your prior authorization.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-09-10 07:49]

Direct link Reply with quote

AnnikaLight  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:34
English to German
Still interested in an answer? Feb 23, 2005

Dear Levan,

I realize you asked this question quite a while ago, but if you're still interested in an answer, here's mine

I might be wrong, but this is how I understand it:
a) According to their Independent Contractor agreement, you are authorized to issue official certified translations.
b) They keep "your signature secure" (and on file!) and cannot issue a Certificate of Translation without your prior authorization

which leads me to c)

How do you know what they do with your signature? If they keep your signature on file, they could cut and paste your signature and use it for "so-called" certified translation without your knowledge.

My advice: Don't sign!

Hope this helps,

A.

Levan Namoradze wrote:

Dear colleagues,

Could someone please tell me whether the term below is accepted by the good international practice. On my mind, it sounds fine, but I not an expert at all with that regard.

Thank you all in advance!

"Independent Contractor Signature Form". As an Independent Contractor with ***, you will be authorized to issue official certified translations (for use in the *** and abroad). In order to issue Certified Translations, you must keep a copy of your signature on file. This agreement states that we will keep your signature secure, and cannot issue a Certificate of Translation without your prior authorization.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-09-10 07:49]

Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 01:34
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Annika! Feb 24, 2005

Thanks a lot Annika! I got the same idea, so I declined that request.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Signature file - Is this acceptable contract clause?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search