How do I register a trading name?
Thread poster: Stuart Carthy

Stuart Carthy  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:14
Japanese to English
Oct 16, 2013

Hello

I'm just starting out as a freelance translator and I want to set up a trading names using my initials. Can anyone tell me how I go about this?

I live in Japan and will be working for agencies in other countries, particularly the UK.

Answers much appreciated

Direct link Reply with quote

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:14
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Craft your titles Oct 16, 2013

Never forget that your posts in English will reach translators around the globe. So either post in the Japanese forum or use a title like: How do I register a trading name in Japan.

Cheers,
Gerard

Simona Micutari  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Romanian
+ ...
Depends Oct 26, 2013

It depends on the country you live in. In many European countries, the most cost-effective, appropriate way to do this is to register as a sole trader (self-employed). That way you can keep taxes to a minimum, but you also leave open the possibility of hiring others in the future if your business expands significantly.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I register a trading name?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search