Do you charge when asked to do a translation \"on site\"? And how much?
Thread poster: Rita Bandinelli
Rita Bandinelli
Rita Bandinelli
Local time: 23:58
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 18, 2002

Hallo everyone.

I am an \"old\" translator, that means I should know the answer myself. The fact is, it never happened to me to be asked to do a translation in the client\'s office. The translation is very short (2 pages or so) and not particularly difficult, but needs to be done there for \"security\" reasons. Should I apply and additional charge? And how much? (All this is happening in Italy, but any experience and advice will be welcomed!).

Thank
... See more
Hallo everyone.

I am an \"old\" translator, that means I should know the answer myself. The fact is, it never happened to me to be asked to do a translation in the client\'s office. The translation is very short (2 pages or so) and not particularly difficult, but needs to be done there for \"security\" reasons. Should I apply and additional charge? And how much? (All this is happening in Italy, but any experience and advice will be welcomed!).

Thanks in advance to all!

Rita

Collapse

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Just make sure that the job pays Jun 18, 2002

In my opinion, and based on my experience, you should charge your normal rates but also charge for your travel costs to and from the client. If you have to travel far then you should also charge (by the hour) for your travel time. The ONLY exception I would make is if you regard this job as an \"investment\" in the hope of getting more (and hopefully larger) jobs from the same client. In that case I would tend not to charge for the travelling time.

Don\'t forget that if you
... See more
In my opinion, and based on my experience, you should charge your normal rates but also charge for your travel costs to and from the client. If you have to travel far then you should also charge (by the hour) for your travel time. The ONLY exception I would make is if you regard this job as an \"investment\" in the hope of getting more (and hopefully larger) jobs from the same client. In that case I would tend not to charge for the travelling time.

Don\'t forget that if you didn\'t have to spend time getting to and from the client you could be making good money in your office or at home or wherever.
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
2 pages of translation but it takes a full day out of your schedule... Jun 18, 2002

I have done this a couple of times - a short translation at the client\'s office for security reasons or because the text is still being written as it needs to be translated.

A job like that can often take a whole day out of your schedule - depending on the distance you have to travel, the time spent traveling, the time spent waiting around for the translation, etc.

Discuss these options with your client and work out a solution together - but you really
... See more
I have done this a couple of times - a short translation at the client\'s office for security reasons or because the text is still being written as it needs to be translated.

A job like that can often take a whole day out of your schedule - depending on the distance you have to travel, the time spent traveling, the time spent waiting around for the translation, etc.

Discuss these options with your client and work out a solution together - but you really must include travel time/costs.... You may even find that you want to charge for a whole day of your time!

HTH

Alison
Collapse

Olga Simon
Olga Simon  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Russian
+ ...
I would not call a 2 page translation a VERY SMALL one... Jun 18, 2002

... and would definitely apply my usual charges per page.

Ingar A. Milnes
Ingar A. Milnes  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Hourly rate Jun 18, 2002

In such cases I simply apply an hourly rate for the whole job (from my office door and back), then add the travel costs.

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 17:58
English to Italian
+ ...
I would apply hourly rates Jun 18, 2002

starting from the moment you leave home. You are not working in your usual environment, with your usual references and resources; it is a hassle and makes for slower production. I have done it in the past, for security reasons, but it was contemplated in my contract with a client with whom I have worked 10 years. And it only happened once in a blue moon.

auguri

paola l m

Rita Bandinelli
Rita Bandinelli
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks to everyone Jun 19, 2002

Thanks to everyone who replied - your hints have been very helpful. I\'m now clearer on the line to take.

Buon lavoro a tutti!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you charge when asked to do a translation \"on site\"? And how much?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »