Thread poster: Tina Jylhä
Cintia Pecellin
Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:00
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Crossing to the 'other side' Aug 31, 2005

Now, what happens when a colleague questions your BB entries?
I was privately contacted by a Proz member (Platinum member too) who demanded to know why I had rated a company with a '1' if he had enjoyed such a great relationship with them. Well, I obviously hadn't.
Sometimes agencies trick their new translators into contacting others who have rated them badly, and I personally find this practice despicable. It made me feel insulted, questioned beyond good taste and practises and, w
... See more
I was privately contacted by a Proz member (Platinum member too) who demanded to know why I had rated a company with a '1' if he had enjoyed such a great relationship with them. Well, I obviously hadn't.
Sometimes agencies trick their new translators into contacting others who have rated them badly, and I personally find this practice despicable. It made me feel insulted, questioned beyond good taste and practises and, why not say it, betrayed.

Zyntia.
Collapse

Peter Bouillon
Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
This might have been in good faith Aug 31, 2005

Zyntia PECELLIN wrote:

Your collegue might have tried to find out in good faith whether he ought to know something important in order to prevent himself getting burnt. Is there a serious risk s/he hadn't learned about yet, has the company developed critical financial trouble, has their management changed for the worse, and so on.

So in your situation I'd probably reply with a careful hint about what the trouble was when you were dealing with this company, so that the collegue may learn his/her risk.

On the other hand, of course, the "collegue" might be in the employ of the company itself to sneak anything you say back to them. So be careful in your reply and don't write anything you cannot back up with hard facts. This latter is a good rule to follow in any case, especially in written communication.

P.

[Edited at 2005-08-31 09:30]

[Edited at 2005-08-31 12:06]

Delinguaproz
Delinguaproz
Local time: 20:00
English to Finnish
+ ...
Learning from fair feedback Aug 31, 2005

Hello everybody,

I agree that BB really is uselful and should give as much information as possible for colleagues - at least the reason for the rating.

From the agency's point of view, it is also very useful (or COULD be...) for the agency in case they wanted to have some feedback and even improve their professonal behaviour!
I started up with my own agency some time ago after having worked as a "normal" free lancer for a long time, and I was really looking forw
... See more
Hello everybody,

I agree that BB really is uselful and should give as much information as possible for colleagues - at least the reason for the rating.

From the agency's point of view, it is also very useful (or COULD be...) for the agency in case they wanted to have some feedback and even improve their professonal behaviour!
I started up with my own agency some time ago after having worked as a "normal" free lancer for a long time, and I was really looking forward to my agency's first ratings. To be honest, I was really puzzled after receiving a 4!! What could I do better? I think it's a fair way to learn from feedback, and if you are not doing anything suspicious, what's there to worry?

On the other hand, I've had this year 2 non-payment cases - I did a translation for 2 different agencies and never got paid. I rated them with 1 and claimed the non-payment. The agencies never answered publicly or otherwise,...and it's not difficult to know why!! They've gone busted already!!

This obviously didn't answer the question, what is there to do in these cases...but I just wanted to share the thought that agencies could just accept the criticism and learn from it and not blame the translator. I think it's just so low.

Katja
Collapse

Adela Van Gils
Adela Van Gils  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
Encourage the translator to make a Blue Board entry. Sep 5, 2005

Dear Sven,

I am flabbergasted by your comment. I do not believe what you are saying. Or rather I cannot believe that colleagues would comply the request of an agency and fill out the blue board. If an agency asks to do so, I would start to wonder. Its something you dont ask for. Hope you are wrong. But I will be even more carefull in the future.
If I cannot trust my colleagues, who do I trust?
Adela.

Sven Petersson wrote:

The Blue Board was created on my suggestion. I envisaged a VERY SIMPLE system, but failed catastrophically in my endeavours to convince ProZ.com to keep it SIMPLE and FUNCTIONAL.

The original concept was:

A simple binary choice: Yes, I would work for this agency again / No, I would not work for this agency again.
No space for any comments by the translator, thus avoiding the risk of upsetting any agency, and consequential libel suits!
No space for any comments by the agency.
Translator updateable, enabling the Blue Board to reflect current status.

The original concept was based on very simple ideas:

A solid string of “Yes” would have been a positive indicator.
A solid string of “No” would have been a negative indicator.
Details about reasons for “No” were to be dealt with in private communications between translators.

What we now have is a system that is worse than no system, sort of a safety line that breaks under less than a man's weight.

The agency mafia quickly discovered how to work the system:
1. Hand out a small job to a new translator and pay for it double-quick.
2. Encourage the translator to make a Blue Board entry.
3. Enter “Thank you very much!” as response to the “Yes”, and block thereby any further entries from the translator.
4. Give the translator a big job and neglect paying for it.
5. Start from “1” with another translator.

I apologise humbly for having failed to convince ProZ.com to keep it SIMPLE and FUNCTIONAL.

Adela Van Gils
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
Dear Moderators: What should be done in such cases? Sep 5, 2005

Dear Aleksandra,
I'm not a moderator but if that's the way our colleagues fill out the BB, I dont need to look at it anymore. Yee! If you dont want the client to contact you, block him/her on your email and politely hang up when he/she calls.
But if you use the BB, use it where its for, to inform your colleagues as good as you can.
Adela

Aleksandra Kwasnik wrote:

Some time ago I've been contacted by the secretery of a small agency to do some simultaneous interpreting job. In the BB I found just one entry saying: "1: They are threatening to sue me for saying here why I won't work for them again - I'll let you guess what they don't want me to say."

I contacted the translator who wrote me some details about her very unpleasant (and short) cooperation with the agency (no feedback after receiving a translation, afterwards: no payment; then: "less payment, because the translation was horrible" etc.; it took her several months to get SOME money).

I decided to give it a try anyway (because I want to gain as much experience in the booth as I can), but be cautious and checked the "business conditions" at their website first. There I found the clause saying that they are paying after being paid by the client, which lead me to refuse politely their offer with a hint to that clause. Two days later I received an answer that they will include the clause "payment after 30 days" into my contract so I agreed.

I did the job, had a chance to learn a great new colleage, the end client was also very satisfied with our job, which she repeated several times.

Two weeks later I received a phone call from the company owner herself (which did not contact me before as I did manage everything with her secretary) YELLING at me (so that other people present in the room could hear her) and starting the conversation like this: "So! Now I will tell you how to behave properly and professionally as you seem not to know what the rules are."

I very silently told her not to yell at me, but she continued.
I learned that my colleague (the one I met while doing this job), who has been working for her regularly, finally got fed up with being paid up to three months later (!) and decided to include "my" clause (saying "payment after 30 days") into his next contract. When we met we of course did talk to each other and he complained about the payment practices and I of course did suggest this solution which I think at least appropriate.

The owner was not amused at all and told me that I will be contacted by her lawyer because I should have kept confidentiality about our contract terms. She was also agry because her secretary did sign my contract including that clause and told me that I was a "bloody beginner not knowing how to behave in a professional way" and trying to play tricks on her. She continued yelling that she will never ever give me another job, I told her that I will never ever work for her again and once again told her to stop yelling, but as she did not I just hang up.

In the end I got paid 6 weeks later.

Then I received a call for entry for the agency in question. I was wondering what to entry, my first thought was to enter "1" with a hint to late payment and the "communication practices", but I knew what her reaction should be (as I remembered the entry from the other colleague) and did not want to be contacted by this person in any case. So I did enter a "3" and - deciding to be diplomatic - added "Late payment, sometimes very unfriendly."
The agency's answer was: "Inexperienced interpreter, snooty, tends to dodge contract terms" - heh, heh

Now I'm angry about myself that I behaved so cowardly because I think that other colleagues should be warned about this company.
I mean: OK, I sometimes get paid late by my other clients too, but this client build up a Christmas buffet for me when I happen to work in her agency around Christmas time (true story, maybe I'm just spoilt...

But on the other hand I really don't want to waste my time and nerves for idle discussions with yelling clients.

Dear Moderators: What should be done in such cases?
Aleksandra

[Edited at 2005-08-31 17:00]

Adela Van Gils
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
Despicable indeed! Sep 5, 2005

Despicable indeed! That the agencies ask it is one thing, but despicable is that we have colleagues that comply!
Adela

PECELLIN wrote:

Sometimes agencies trick their new translators into contacting others who have rated them badly, and I personally find this practice despicable. It made me feel insulted, questioned beyond good taste and practises and, why not say it, betrayed.

Zyntia.

Aleksandra Kwasnik
Aleksandra Kwasnik  Identity Verified
Germany
Polish to German
+ ...
Agree Sep 26, 2005

Adela Van Gils wrote:

Dear Aleksandra,
I'm not a moderator but if that's the way our colleagues fill out the BB, I dont need to look at it anymore. Yee! If you dont want the client to contact you, block him/her on your email and politely hang up when he/she calls.
But if you use the BB, use it where its for, to inform your colleagues as good as you can.
Adela

005-08-31 17:00]

Dear Adela,

I agree with you and I of course did change my entry immediately after my previous post. But I never had such an experience with a client before - that's why I was not sure whether to tell "the whole story" and grade the outsourcer appropriately or not.

You are of course right that the BB should be used according to its purpose and I won't be so shy next time, but the lady in question was very upsetting, really.

A.

Heike Reagan
Heike Reagan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:00
German to English
I think we all should write more BlueBoard entries Oct 18, 2005

as many outsorcers have no entries.

I have also had one not-so-good-experience (not as bad as yours, but would still not work for them again) and also decided to be diplomatic - a 3 and mentioned communication problems.

that seems to be a "key word", so I'll be careful if that's mentioned anywhere.

Heike

Julie Allison
Julie Allison  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
That was a realistic idea Nov 3, 2005

Sven, that is so realistic and I am not at all surprised that agencies would do that.

Sven Petersson wrote:

The Blue Board was created on my suggestion. I envisaged a VERY SIMPLE system, but failed catastrophically in my endeavours to convince ProZ.com to keep it SIMPLE and FUNCTIONAL.

The original concept was:

A simple binary choice: Yes, I would work for this agency again / No, I would not work for this agency again.
No space for any comments by the translator, thus avoiding the risk of upsetting any agency, and consequential libel suits!
No space for any comments by the agency.
Translator updateable, enabling the Blue Board to reflect current status.

The original concept was based on very simple ideas:

A solid string of “Yes” would have been a positive indicator.
A solid string of “No” would have been a negative indicator.
Details about reasons for “No” were to be dealt with in private communications between translators.

What we now have is a system that is worse than no system, sort of a safety line that breaks under less than a man's weight.

The agency mafia quickly discovered how to work the system:
1. Hand out a small job to a new translator and pay for it double-quick.
2. Encourage the translator to make a Blue Board entry.
3. Enter “Thank you very much!” as response to the “Yes”, and block thereby any further entries from the translator.
4. Give the translator a big job and neglect paying for it.
5. Start from “1” with another translator.

I apologise humbly for having failed to convince ProZ.com to keep it SIMPLE and FUNCTIONAL.

Julie Allison
Julie Allison  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Trouble is feedback is conditonal Nov 3, 2005

The trouble is some people cannot handle criticism, even though this is a tool for self-improvment. If someone is so arrogant as to assume they know everything and have nothing to improve on, well, give me some of that super-being drug.
It is somewhat "mafioso" only to accept/encourage positive feedback.

Katja Virtanen wrote:

Hello everybody,

I started up with my own agency some time ago after having worked as a "normal" free lancer for a long time, and I was really looking forward to my agency's first ratings. To be honest, I was really puzzled after receiving a 4!! What could I do better? I think it's a fair way to learn from feedback, and if you are not doing anything suspicious, what's there to worry?

On the other hand, I've had this year 2 non-payment cases - I did a translation for 2 different agencies and never got paid. I rated them with 1 and claimed the non-payment. The agencies never answered publicly or otherwise,...and it's not difficult to know why!! They've gone busted already!!

This obviously didn't answer the question, what is there to do in these cases...but I just wanted to share the thought that agencies could just accept the criticism and learn from it and not blame the translator. I think it's just so low.

Katja

Gerry Busch (X)
Gerry Busch (X)
German to English
Agency reactions to BB entries Dec 31, 2005

Maybe it's a bit late now to enter this discussion, but the thought crossed my mind that some agencies might threaten not the translator, but ProZ.com itself, with legal action. Has this ever happened?

Gerry

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Negative blue board comments about agencies

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »