Thread poster: laurem
laurem
laurem  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 22:09
English to French
+ ...
Jan 25, 2006

Did it ever happen to you that you were unable to perform a translation by the agreed deadline because of unexpected private events that occurred in your family. How can you tell the customer? Should you explain the nature of the issue?

Anne Grimes
Anne Grimes
Canada
Local time: 16:09
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
private unexpected events Jan 25, 2006

Yes, it has happened to me once. Being a single, homeschooling mom of 4 kids, sometimes unexpected illnesses or other urgent situations occur which prevent me from working the number of hours I thought I would to complete a job, but usually I try to make sure I have more than enough time to complete a translation so that there is time for unexpected events. This one time,though, I let the client know as soon as I knew I would be unable to meet the deadline, and they were very understanding about... See more
Yes, it has happened to me once. Being a single, homeschooling mom of 4 kids, sometimes unexpected illnesses or other urgent situations occur which prevent me from working the number of hours I thought I would to complete a job, but usually I try to make sure I have more than enough time to complete a translation so that there is time for unexpected events. This one time,though, I let the client know as soon as I knew I would be unable to meet the deadline, and they were very understanding about my situation. They just said to let them know the soonest I could hand in the translation, and that was it. I handed it in as soon as I finished it, and was paid on time. I don't think you need to explain the details of the situation to the client, but let them know that it was an urgent unavoidable situation with your family so they realize there is a good reason for it and you are not just making excuses.
Regards, Anne Estrada
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
no Jan 25, 2006

laurem wrote:

Did it ever happen to you that you were unable to perform a translation by the agreed deadline because of unexpected private events that occurred in your family. How can you tell the customer? Should you explain the nature of the issue?

No, but:::::::::::::::.
On the basis of a move-mountains mentality, a) I have 2 great collegaues who would - I know - bend over backwards to help me out if it were at all physivally and mentally possible (cos they are as professional as I am - in all modesty - meaning that we simply do not 'dump' people who kinda ount on us) and b) failing that, you have a life, work is not all one's life, things happen, .when it comes down to it, you tell your client, and most - human - clients understand....

Thanks A:-)

Thanks R:-)

Great to know you both!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Makes sense, Jan 25, 2006

anne estrada wrote:

usually I try to make sure I have more than enough time to complete a translation so that there is time for unexpected events.

Makes sense, do it all the time:-)

Anne Grimes
Anne Grimes
Canada
Local time: 16:09
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
What I meant was.. Jan 25, 2006

Lia Fail wrote:

anne estrada wrote:

usually I try to make sure I have more than enough time to complete a translation so that there is time for unexpected events.

Makes sense, do it all the time:-)

...that occasionally I take a job that is due in a couple of hours which the client wants back urgently asap and there is no extra time in this case for anything unexpected which might come up. Of course normally I make sure there more than enough time to do a translation and proofread it etc.
Nice to meet you too, BTW...Anne.

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Yes Jan 25, 2006

It happened to me in June. I had accepted an assignment (very short) with a generous deadline. However, in the middle of it, my husband's step-father died, completely unexpected. The days that followed were really difficult, there was a lot of things to arrange and I definitely couldn't concentrate on my work.

I wrote my client an e-mail, explaining the situation. She was very undrstanding and reassigned the job to another translator. Luckily (perhaps?) this was one of my oldest cl
... See more
It happened to me in June. I had accepted an assignment (very short) with a generous deadline. However, in the middle of it, my husband's step-father died, completely unexpected. The days that followed were really difficult, there was a lot of things to arrange and I definitely couldn't concentrate on my work.

I wrote my client an e-mail, explaining the situation. She was very undrstanding and reassigned the job to another translator. Luckily (perhaps?) this was one of my oldest client, I have a great working relationship with the PM. I guess that made the whole situation a whole lot easier.
Collapse

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes Jan 25, 2006

It recently happened to me and it happened... with a new client (first job).
I have triplets aged 7 and both my daughters had to be hospitalized for a bad infection. I was not able to work for almost 3 weeks. As soon as I realized what was going on, I asked a colleague I trust to carry out the job. Of course we lost some days so she asked the client to extend the deadline. He agreed, she carried out the job and everything was fine. The new client wrote to me saying how professional I had b
... See more
It recently happened to me and it happened... with a new client (first job).
I have triplets aged 7 and both my daughters had to be hospitalized for a bad infection. I was not able to work for almost 3 weeks. As soon as I realized what was going on, I asked a colleague I trust to carry out the job. Of course we lost some days so she asked the client to extend the deadline. He agreed, she carried out the job and everything was fine. The new client wrote to me saying how professional I had been.
However, I still don't know whether this new client will come back to me in the future.

Laura
Collapse

Mary Lalevee
Mary Lalevee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:09
French to English
Things happen... Jan 25, 2006

Unexpected things can and do happen. People break their legs, fall ill, suffer bereavements.....

These are unavoidable events and if they happen you need either to find someone else to do the work or simply inform the client that it is is impossible for you to do it plus the reason if possible.

It's like force majeure.

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Yes, twice Jan 25, 2006

This has happened to me twice, both were cases of bereavement, and coincidently while I was doing a job for the same agency. I told them exactly what was going on as I have a very good long-standing relationship with this particular agency. I sent them what I had done of the translation so far (without charge as it was not a finished product) and they took it from there. If it had been a direct client, I would have tried to find someone else to continue.
These things happen, people who wor
... See more
This has happened to me twice, both were cases of bereavement, and coincidently while I was doing a job for the same agency. I told them exactly what was going on as I have a very good long-standing relationship with this particular agency. I sent them what I had done of the translation so far (without charge as it was not a finished product) and they took it from there. If it had been a direct client, I would have tried to find someone else to continue.
These things happen, people who work in offices, etc., take days off work at the drop of a hat, so I don't see why we should feel guilty or any less professional than our colleagues if we have to do the same. Ultimately, I believe that you should put yourself, your health and your family first and if that means you can't complete a job as promised, then so be it, as long, of course, as it is a case of circumstances beyond our control and not due to bad planning.
Collapse

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Happening to me right now Jan 25, 2006

I took a job while being down with a nasty cold/chest infection on Thursday, had plenty of time till deadline and decided to start working only on Monday, hoping I will recover by Monday. However on Monday I still was only half a woman I was before (almost literally - two weeks of not eating are taking their toll) and had no energy left at all. I had to contact the client and ask them to extend the deadline by two days. The client already knew I was not well when he assigned the job so I got my ... See more
I took a job while being down with a nasty cold/chest infection on Thursday, had plenty of time till deadline and decided to start working only on Monday, hoping I will recover by Monday. However on Monday I still was only half a woman I was before (almost literally - two weeks of not eating are taking their toll) and had no energy left at all. I had to contact the client and ask them to extend the deadline by two days. The client already knew I was not well when he assigned the job so I got my extention without any problems. Today is the first day I am not contemplating suicide when getting up in the morning to take the kids to school, so I guess I will manage it in time.

Cheers,
Ines
Collapse

laurem
laurem  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for sharing your experience Jan 25, 2006

Thank you! I thought I was the only person on earth with so much bad luck at the moment...
Unfortunately, my client is refusing any extension of the deadline!

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Too bad Jan 29, 2006

I'm sorry to hear this, Laurem. But this is life, things happen, to all of us. Perhaps your client couldn't obtain an extension on their own deadline. In this case, I hope you know a reliable colleague who can undertake at least part of the project??

laurem wrote:

Thank you! I thought I was the only person on earth with so much bad luck at the moment...
Unfortunately, my client is refusing any extension of the deadline!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to perform a translation for private unexpected events

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »