How to charge for project management? Per-word, per-hour, per-project?
Thread poster: Andrea Bullrich

Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:06
English to Spanish
Aug 2, 2002

Hi everybody.

I\'d like to hear your advice on how to charge for project management. Since more of us are working in teams every day, I often find myself in the position of a reluctant project manager, coordinating work I can\'t handle alone, and I\'m not always sure how to charge for this work. Is there an industry standard? Do you think an hourly rate would be best, or perhaps a per word rate, or a percentage on the project total? What is your experience?

Thanks for any input,

Andrea

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Local time: 20:06
English to German
Charging for Project Management Aug 2, 2002

I normally charge a percentage of the total. This can be beetween 8 and 15 percent depending on the complexity.

HTH

Uwe

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:06
Dutch to English
+ ...
Project Management Aug 2, 2002

It depends on the project. If it is a project involving Trados I usually charge per hour. If I\'m proof-reading the final documentation produced by several translators I charge per word.

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
I understand your reluctance and I don't like the position Aug 2, 2002

and when this happens I apply lucrum cessans.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for project management? Per-word, per-hour, per-project?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search