advice on bidding for State agencies
Thread poster: Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 24, 2006

Periodically I receive requests from Government or State agencies to bid on a translation project. I am curious as to whether there is a standard format to follow to submit this bid, aside from providing information as to rate and turnaround. Also, do industry rates apply, or do such projects typically command higher/lower rates?

I will appreciate any feedback regarding this topic.

All best,

Susana

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Check with the agencies May 25, 2006

Each agency should have its own procedures in this regard, so I would suggest asking each one directly what they require.

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:09
German to English
Agree with Henry May 25, 2006

You might want to look on the website for the entity involved and see what their bid procedure might be. Based upon discussions I've had with with vendors of other services to state agencies, you might want to aim for the middle/low end of the agency range (i.e., what an agency might charge, NOT what you might get from an agency). Emphasize backup, resources, etc. Single-shingle providers have to show that they can play with the larger providers.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Forgot May 25, 2006

I forgot the second question. Prevailing rates in the area would be appropriate. Of course, if they are asking for bids, they may just go with the lowest bidder and quality be damned. But I think you should ask what you think you are worth (and you are worth a good rate, I've seen your work).

Many times, however, if you have the right contacts you can get state (or other government) agency work with no bidding process, they just send it, you do it, bill it and get paid.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

advice on bidding for State agencies

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search