deadline change
Thread poster: biankonera

biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 02:11
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
Dec 12, 2006

Recently I had a customer change the initial deadline for a translation and the difference between the initial deadline and the new one was one week (meaning: I had to submit the job one week earlier than was initially planned). Since the job was not too difficult and I had enough free time to deal with it with no stress I didnt mind, but I was wondering - in general what would be normal to do in such a case? Maybe anyone has had a similar experience?

Stella

Direct link Reply with quote

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:11
German to English
+ ...
Depends Dec 12, 2006

Sveika, Stella -

I have customers change deadlines on occasion. I accomodate it if it's not too much trouble, but I'm also honest if I see that I won't be able to finish the job on time due to the change.

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
One caution Dec 12, 2006

If this is an ongoing customer, or one from whom you expect more translations, it would have been prudent to warn them that you were able to handle the deadline change this time, but that they must not take it for granted.

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 06:11
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Communication Dec 13, 2006

Hi Stella,

In fact, I never have such an experience. However, communication is the key in this case. You should discuss it with the client while reminding them of the possible consequence of deadline change. As for myself, turn around time is one of the factors that determine the rate.

Good luck.

biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
different solutions Dec 13, 2006

Daina, paldies par viedokli!:) Its exactly what I did - I did accomodate the change this time however it left a strange feeling.

Hipyan, it was the first time such thing happened to me as well. Lets see how it goes with them in the future.

GoodWords, its a new customer and its been a rather bumpy ride so far with this first project so I dont really know what to expect from them. Fingers crossed they wont have any change of heart when it comes to payment.:)

Thanks to all ofyou and have a beautiful Christmas season!

Stella

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:11
Italian to English
+ ...
It's happened to me a few times... Dec 13, 2006

... and on least one occasion (when an already short deadline suddenly turned into a next day delivery) the agency offered me a 30% supplement for doing it.
As others have said, do it if you can handle it, but don't be afraid to say no if you can't. You can also try and negotiate a compromise, of course.

Bogdan Burghelea  Identity Verified
Romania
English to German
+ ...
Wrong deadline Dec 13, 2006

Hipyan Nopri wrote:

Hi Stella,

In fact, I never have such an experience. However, communication is the key in this case. You should discuss it with the client while reminding them of the possible consequence of deadline change. As for myself, turn around time is one of the factors that determine the rate.

Good luck.

At some occasion, a client asked me, whether it would be possible to translate a text until, say June, 19th, whereas she ment June, 10th - as you may have guessed it, there was a typo.

I must mention that June, 10 was the next day I received the job.

Although slightly amused and quite happy that I had 10 ahead of me for a relatively simple job, the next day I was bombarded by rather offensive e-mail from my client, requesting delivery of the translation.

My solution: I pointed out, that in the order made and sent via e-mail the deadline was explicitly June, 19th and only because I wanted so (in light of a succesful and long collaboration), I sent the already translated pages (3 out of 10, if I recall correctly).

The moral of the story: Always, I mean ALWAYS, make sure that you have written (including e-mails or faxes) proof of the terms and conditions of the translation - following the (unfortunately) so true principle of law: "Verba volant, scripta manent" (The spoken (word) flies, the written (word) stays).

If it hadn't been so in my case, I could have been made liable for the urgency fees paid to another translator (that eventually finished the job).

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
While I agree with GoodWords Dec 13, 2006

that it shouldn't become a regular habit, in financial translation at least, there is some regular shifting of projects that you have to live with as deals come together or are delayed, customers wait for the wording of annual reports to be approved, etc. Ideally customers would be organized enough to have a buffer for this, but practically they are not, so doing this kind of translation involves some flexibility.

That said, if it becomes extreme, I would reconsider the relationship with the customer or go for the firmer jobs only (and confirm in writing).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

deadline change

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search