To disclose or not to disclose (online material)
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:04
Spanish
+ ...
Jan 17, 2007

A few weeks ago, a corporation (direct client) asked me if I could work on a project for them. I had told them that I had translated the literature and parts of a website for a similar company through an agency, but I couldn't show them a sample because of the NDA I had signed for the agency.

After completing a very lengthy, but paid, test translation, this client wants me to work for them. The problem is that they keep insisting on seeing a sample of my previous work. I re-read the NDA and it's very clear about "disclosing the information included in any document [...]" submitted by the agency.

But the NDA doesn't say anything at all about revealing the name of third-party clients or the material translated by me that is online, and therefore, public. I told my client that I will see what I can do, but before asking the agency I worked with in the first place, I thought of asking this question here. Has anybody been in a similar situation? I haven't even disclosed the name of the company because it wasn't my direct client, but I don't know how to proceed about the website, since it's public information.

I'd appreciate any comments! Thanks.

Claudia

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:04
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Ask your previous customer for permission Jan 17, 2007

Since part of your translation was their web site (i.e., a public document), I think they would readily give you permission to point your new customer there.

Erika Cenefels (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:04
German to French
+ ...
Weird Jan 18, 2007

Hi Claudia,

if they are happy with your sample, I don't understand why they keep asking for references.

If you work for the agency on a regular basis, I would all the more stick to the NDA. I wouldn't risk getting into trouble with them.

Tough decision, though.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

wolmix
English to French
website Jan 18, 2007

Claudia Alvis wrote:

A few weeks ago, a corporation (direct client) asked me if I could work on a project for them. I had told them that I had translated the literature and parts of a website for a similar company through an agency, but I couldn't show them a sample because of the NDA I had signed for the agency.

If it is a website, why don't you just give them the URL?

Helene Martin-Hernandez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:04
English to French
+ ...
A website can be seen by anyone Jan 18, 2007

I think a website is public, and can be seen by anyone. I guess, if the website in question doesn't require a password to access it, there is no reason why you can't give the ULR. It's not as if it was a confidential document (unless it's not online yet...).

But it's always best to ask the agency, as you said.

Regards,
Helene

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To disclose or not to disclose (online material)

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search