LinguistFinder.com - any experience?
Thread poster: Sonja Tomaskovic
Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:05
English to German
+ ...
Jan 25, 2003

is anyone out there subscribed to http://www.linguistfinder.com ? If so, can you tell me something about their services?

Kind regards,

Sonja

Direct link Reply with quote

Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
Just the usual.... Jan 25, 2003

To find out what they want from you, you have to register. Only then do you see the FAQ.

And here it is:

To help pay for this we do charge linguists a very small commission compared to agencies, just 10%*, on all the bookings we generate for you

Yeah, very small commission.

Currently membership starts from just UK £29.99 (or the equivalent in other currencies)

Oh, they also want a membership fee... and they do not say if this is per month or per year. Too cheap for a yearly subscription. Must be per month.

And you can advertise your services of course:

Small Translation Companies and Individual Linguists

For small translation companies, individual linguists, and linguist related companies it costs from just £59.99 to boost your bookings and advertise in our \'Links Section\'. Please note that we do not permit agencies. (A bit confusing: they invite translation companies, but not agencies???)

What did they promise?

Cut out the middlemen!

If those are not middlemen, I swallow a broomstick!

Maya

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Maya and Tayfun... Jan 25, 2003

... for this valuable information.

I received an email from them some time ago, and they offered me a free subscription. Just yesterday I received the same email again, saying that I can subscribe for free. I was just curious to know whether anyone has ever received any kind of job assignment through this site.

As Tayfun said, charging any commissions for an inquiry is quite uncommon. Other sites, like smarterwork or sycanet, do charge commissions, too, but only if a contract is being placed between the two parties... and as far as I know they charge less than 10 %.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Kind regards,

Sonja

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

LinguistFinder.com - any experience?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search