https://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/8048-how_many_words_do_you_translate_per_hour.html

How many words do you translate per hour?
Thread poster: Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 27, 2003

Hola, curious as to what a suitable range of translated words per hour would be. My range of translated words per day is around 2000. My language pair is English to Spanish. Thanks in advance for any input.

[ This Message was edited byn2003-01-27 23:10]

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 11:54
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Re: words per hour Jan 27, 2003

[quote]

On 2003-01-27 23:10, susa773 wrote:

Hola, curious as to what a suitable range of translated words per hour would be. My range of translated words per day is around 2000. My language pair is English to Spanish. Thanks in advance for any input.

===================================

We, being an Agency, usually count as feasible 250 words or page for hour, though, sometimes, if the text is simple, it is generous in direction of a translator. I myself, being a functionary, translate only in emergencies, but, in these cases, using voice recognition engine, I easily manage 1300 words per hour + 30 minutes for revision of all the havoc incurred. (I do not tell this to clients, though).

But- 250 words per hour seem reasonable, it includes your coffee pauses and doesn’t unfair stretch you…
[addsig]

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 16:54
English
+ ...
Agreed Jan 28, 2003

Obviously, if translating lists of tools or spare parts where you have to look up every other flippin\' word, written in seismic cursive, you can fall to 50 or 60 words per hour.

In a subject that you know well or once you\'ve locked into the wavelength, you can zail along is 300wph.

Two-hundred and fifty is a comfortable average crusing speed for professionals, coffee breaks included.

OneDocument, S.L.
OneDocument, S.L.
Spain
Local time: 10:54
Member (2004)
French to Spanish
+ ...
1000 wph Jan 28, 2003

That\'s my average translating (typing) patents from English to Spanish, plus time for revision (around 15 minutes/1000 words). That makes around 800-900 wph for an entire document.

Cheers!

cvaudry (X)
cvaudry (X)
French to English
you mentioned voice recognition.... Jan 29, 2003

Hello

Could you let me know what voice recognition tool you are using? I\'m thinking of buying one and it seems that the \"Dragon\" one is the best, from a reading of previous entries in the Forum....

Thanks

Claire

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 11:54
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Voice recognition Jan 29, 2003

[quote]

On 2003-01-29 13:15, cvaudry wrote:

Hello

Could you let me know what voice recognition tool you are using? [unquote]

The one inbuild in Office XP. It takes a bit to train it, (but I guess that is with all such software, even my phone doesn\'t recognise voice dialling when my wife tries to tell my phone whom to dial )but accuracy (with simple texts) in my experience is 90-95%. The one disadvantage is that you loose all training once you have to reinstall Windows. The plus though is you have not to by it seperately.
[addsig]

cvaudry (X)
cvaudry (X)
French to English
thanks Feb 2, 2003

Thanks for letting me know, I\'ll have a look.

Claire

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Seems reasonable Apr 5, 2003

Thanks to all for your valuable input

S.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many words do you translate per hour?

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »